Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Ugh I have a bad cold- do you worry about alcohol in medicine?

Notices

Old 01-06-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm sending my husband out for sudafed and robitussin but wondered if you guys think alcohol in medicine would be a problem. I'm going to have him check the labels but I don't think they contain alcohol.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

They might contain alcohol, I don't know.

I hope you feel better, Laura!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I used to attend a discussion meeting where they actually had a bottle of Niquil on the desk to remind us to be wary of alcohol in meds. They give us Robitussin here in the nursing home, and I'm pretty sure it's alcohol-free...nasty tasting stuff! There are plenty of alcohol-free cough meds, and I would be careful to read the labels.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I personally have to take alcohol-free medicines when I am sick. Robitussin does have products that are alcohol-free. (That is what I usually take for minor colds.) I cannot take Nyquil because I like the taste just a little too much...especially cherry flavored. I have not only abused Nyquil, but also Listerine in the past. So, for me, since I am unable to take the recommended dosage--I stay away from products that contain any form of alcohol.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The question was, do we worry about alcohol in cold medicines. Personally, no I don't. I'm an Alcoholic. If I want a drink, I'll go get one. If I want to get rid of a cold or cough, I'll take something for it.
It's possible that the small amount of Alcohol in cold remedies may trigger a craving, but it hasn't as of yet or I haven't noticed.
That's just my answer to the question but if there's any doubts, don't do it. I stand by 4-Way when it comes to colds. It's a nasal mist in a red and white bottle and it's like not having a cold at all.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Laura - I, personally, do worry about alcohol in cold medicine this early in my sobriety. I am not comfortable using it. I don't know what, if anything, it would trigger in me, and I don't really want to find out. Just my two cents. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry your not feeling well hope your up and running in no time. I'm an alcoholic and I dont mess with anything that has alcohol in it. I hope you feel better good luck.

All Good Things,
Old 01-06-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Personally I don't worry about it Laura. I do hope your husband has found something for you to take that brings you some relief whatever you decide .
Old 01-06-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

When I went to detox...and, anyone who's been will know this...they went through our bags, and confiscated OTC meds, cologne, nail polish remover, toothe paste, mouth wash, etc. I never suspected...but, there must have been a reason for it. I didn't question it then, and I sure wouldn't question it, even now.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

My thoughts are with so many non-alcohol products available why would I want to buy one with alcohol in it and take a chance?

I have used a codiene based cough syrup prescribed by my MD when I had pneumonia last year but I was very careful to only use it as prescribed. When an alternative is available I just prefer to buy the non-alcohol version. But this topic is one of those that ultmiately winds up being what are you comfortable with not about me telling someone that my way is the only way. The main thing is your sobriety. If you feel comfortable with a medicine that has alcohol in it and prefer not to use one without alcohol, that is your decision.