do you guys think....

Old 01-05-2008, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sjr

do you guys think....

do you think your tolerance of drunk people goes to an amazingly low level after you have had to deal with an addict in your life?

i sure do.

i met a few girlfriends out tonight for a cocktail. the drunk people we're workin' my last good one!! (nerve that is)

granted i WAS in a bar. but omigosh. i was bumped into, fell on, personal space violated....and that was all in about fifteen minutes!! i said ya know what....ahhhh, i gotta go. ~~

girls night of dancin' and havin fun lasted all of about an hour and half. whoo-hoo!! maybe i am just getting old. maybe i am just over intoxication of any level. i don't know.

i did get a laugh though....
boys that can't dance always make me laugh!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by sjr View Post
do you think your tolerance of drunk people goes to an amazingly low level after you have had to deal with an addict in your life?

i sure do.

i met a few girlfriends out tonight for a cocktail. the drunk people we're workin' my last good one!! (nerve that is)

granted i WAS in a bar. but omigosh. i was bumped into, fell on, personal space violated....and that was all in about fifteen minutes!! i said ya know what....ahhhh, i gotta go. ~~

girls night of dancin' and havin fun lasted all of about an hour and half. whoo-hoo!! maybe i am just getting old. maybe i am just over intoxication of any level. i don't know.

i did get a laugh though....
boys that can't dance always make me laugh!!!
I think maybe your just more tired of it, it affects you more and on a deeper level.
You see it more serious than others "Have to"..
Many people haven't had to experience what you have so they don't see it the same way you have.

Addiction has a way of turning a lot of things into something different.

If that makes any sense.

:ghug2
Old 01-05-2008, 11:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sjr

yep...that's true!!! you just wanted to use the "box" huh??? lol
Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by sjr View Post
yep...that's true!!! you just wanted to use the "box" huh??? lol

Shhhh, don't tell everybody....
Old 01-05-2008, 11:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sjr

Old 01-06-2008, 02:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Yep yep yep!

For me now it is a sign of being out of control. Sure, its ok to drink and get a little tipsy turvy.... but drunken, nope cant handle the stupidity of it.
Sorry
Old 01-06-2008, 02:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel the same way. I went to bars from time to time when I was younger. Now since I have dealt with addiction I can say that I look at drinking a different way.

It is definitely not my idea of a good time.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too have a lower tolerance of intoxication. I don't mind being with people who have a drink with dinner or a cocktail now and then, but I really dislike the "bar" scene...and that's not just my age.

I went to a bar with some people at work a couple of years ago, to hear a great band that was in town playing. I went with the intention of only staying about an hour...and then I saw cocaine...it was someone in my group from work. I think it was the speediest exit I have ever made.

I have made changes because of my recovery, sometimes changed friends, for many reasons but the biggest would be that I no longer want to sit with people who drink all evening. It's no fun for me and I am sure I am no fun for them either. I have choices today, and know when I need to remove myself from toxic situations or uncomfortable places. And I don't mind this at all.

Hugs
Old 01-06-2008, 05:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My dad was an alcoholic who only told me he loved me when he was drunk. And then it was mushy. So I have hated being around drunks ever since then. When my daughter is high it makes me really uncomfortable and I finally put two and two together and realized that it makes me feel exactly the same way that I felt as a child being around my dad. Hugs, Marle
Old 01-06-2008, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i hate alcohol at any level. i know today that it can lead to stronger drugs. i can not believe an addict took their first drug completely clean of anything. it is not age with me either, just experiences in life.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am going to be brutally honest........I can't stand being around anyone who is intoxicated in any way shape or form. I don't think it is funny.....I think it is sad. My dad was a drinker and it almost always caused him and my mom to have arguments when I was a little girl. I remember my sisters and I hiding in a corner and hugging each other for dear life sometimes.

I do go out with friends who have a beer or two but that's about it. For the most part my friends are non drinkers. I myself like to have a light beer or a glass of wine on occasion.

I can relate to you............Lo
Old 01-06-2008, 09:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Mr. Moose and I do some slight social drinking, on occasion.

But, now with him on a new medicine, he really shouldn't drink at all, and to tell you the truth, we don't care, and we have just as good a time, sober. And we feel real good in the a.m. too!

But, I've noticed that some of the ppl we hang with kind of look at us, like we're not joining the party.

I could care less.

I also had the same kind of experience Marle had. My mother, and father, has NEVER said they loved me, when they were sober. And now she doesn't drink anymore...and he's deceased......
Old 01-06-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

One f the reasons I do not spend more time promoting my wedding photography business is because I just hate.. HATE.. riding herd on a bunch of 20-30 somethings who look at an open bar like they just won Lotto.

You, the photographer, stand between them and that bar and getting totally blasted. It can get ugly....

and then, as the reception wears on you get to see the ones who are worshipping the "porcelain god" on their knees....

I could have done so many albums where the last 30 photos were of people in compromised positions due to excess alcohol. It can be funny but after a few of these events it can also be just not funny at all.

I guess that is why I get paid. After awhile it all becomes a job.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sjr

you know i found myself being sooo annoyed at the people around me. and embarassed for them.~~i don't keep alcohol in my home, for obvious reasons, not even a bottle of wine for dinner. i am not into the bar scene either. i haven't been for a long time. but last night was supposed to be good 'ole girl time....something i have been needing. i have decided that this year i am going to catch up with all the friends i have put on 'hold' for so long because of dealing with 'life'. owell....now i know....next time, we can just go out to dinner.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sjr

I cannot stand being around intoxicated people. Mr. Dev and I were in the restaurant business for 35 years and I can tell you stories that would curl your hair.

Our rule was if any bartender served a patron till he was intoxicated, he would be responsible for taking that person home!

Sometimes people are so saturated that one drink will throw them over the edge in which case they weren't responsible.

All I know is I hated it when they would violate my space! Unfortunately, I couldn't leave; however, you should see how fast they were "cut off!"

We had men come in our place that I knew were alcoholics. My rule was they could have soft drinks, coffee, sparkling water, but no booze! I also would make them eat at least a bowl of soup. It was really sad to see how many of them died from drinking. NOT AT OUR PLACE!

I love to have a couple of drinks, but do not like feeling out of control! Therefore, you can always depend on me to do the driving.

Funny story: As I said if the bartender served one too many drinks to the patron, and he was so drunk he couldn't drive, the bartender would be responsible for taking him home. Most of our clients were regulars and lived in the neighborhood. It was a small community and every one knew each other.

One night a very good customer was in, this gentleman could only have two martinis. A third would throw him over the edge so the rule was only two!
Well, when I seated him for dinner I knew he had a third drink. I covered for the bartender while he took him home. Only he didn't come back for three hours. He lived close by so I was concerned.

What happened was he lived in a condo and since they all looked pretty much the same, he couldn't decide which was his. Finally, after walking up to several different ones he said this is it. The bartender tried to open the door. The key wouldn't fit. He tried a couple of times to no avail. All of a sudden this great big guy opens the door with a club in his hand asking what he thought he was doing!! At the same time, while the bartender was trying to hold up the patron, and explain to the big guy, the patron said "hey, what happen to my gate?" YIPES! WHAT GATE? THERE WAS NO GATE HERE! OOPS, SORRY WRONG CONDO!

I'll tell you right now that bartender will never serve a patron too much again!

So many funny stories being in that business. My good friend for 50 years was a partner in one of the restaurants and when we get together we still roar at some of the things that happened. It's such a fun business. I really miss it a lot.

Did I steal your post? Sorry, once you get me going I'm like the Energizer Bunny...never stop!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 01-06-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I owned a bar during all this addiction crap, talk about no tolerance for drunks...aghhhh