Coming to this site...

Old 01-02-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming to this site...

...helps me with personal accountability. Here is what is facing me today/this week. While my AS is finishing up his last few weeks in rehab I will do the following...

Go to the 8pm meeting tonight. Finish writing up the Home Contract that details acceptable and unacceptable behavior and consequences and priveleges and send to his therapist there. Call my alanon friend. Conference call with AS and his therapist Friday afternoon. AS will be finishing up his Relapse Prevention Plan. I am eager to see what he has come up with. I have written it for him in my mind many times already! But it has to be his own, right?
I will also be exploring alternative high schools becasue we have been advised that returning to the school he was attending may be too much of a challenge for him (using/dealing-wise). This all sounds so simple and orderly, and you would think we are poised for success. Well, truth is we have been through this before...all the preparations for his return home, and to be honest I am just going through the motions once again, this time with very low expectations. I will do my part but the most important to dos are going to be his. This time around I want to be different. All I can change is myself right?
And I will leave the outcome to God.
I have to combat the intense FEAR I am feeling with ACTION and FAITH. Thank you for listening to me this morning.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
krhea75

Sounds like your keeping your head on straight. My son ended up getting his GED after many attempts at going back to the old high school. I was really disappointed at first, but now I am just glad he has it. He had missed so much school and failed so many classes that it seemed better to get the GED. He did pass with flying colors so that made it easier, but not really. He could have been such a good student. Hope your son follows through with the plan,but as you stated it is best to have really low expectations. After all, that's all they are, your expecting of what will happen. They are often based in what we as parents need and want, not what the reality of the situation is. Our path is no their path and we are not God. Okay, so i am talking to myself here, can you tell? I know how much you love your son. Hang in there.
krhea