My son is abusing alcohol

Old 01-01-2008, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My son is abusing alcohol

I received a 3 am call this morning for a ride home. I drove 20 minutes to the bar and he and 4 friends piled in my car. All completely bombed! The smell was horrid. One was a petite girl who was passed out in one of the guy's trucks. They opened the door to the truck scooped her up passed out and plopped her in my backseat. I said a silent prayer for her.

Listening to their babble for the 20 minute ride back was just awful. I delivered all safely to their doors. I've talked to my son about alcohol abuse as it runs on both sides of our family. I know it is high time I probably get to Al-Anon. I have my own issues with binge drinking and work hard to keep it under control. I went to bed at 8:30 last night to stay safe.

After seeing them all so drunk when I picked them up I was so grateful to be sober.

Laurie
Old 01-01-2008, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ICU

Well, the silver lining in your son's situation is, although he was drunk, he (and his friends) still had the presence of mind NOT to drive and call for a ride. Although getting drunk was not a great idea, I do commend him for 'choosing' not to drive.

I hope you do consider giving Alanon a try. Best wishes to you in your own recovery as well!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcoholics can typically deny being unfit to drive and cause car crashes. There is much hope in that they KNEW they could not drive.

I am curious about the conversation content you mention???