Notices

FINALLY saw my doctor!! :-)

Old 12-31-2007, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Smile FINALLY saw my doctor!! :-)

Hi everyone

Well, I FINALLY saw my doctor today and he gave me a refill on my meds and told me that the best thing for alcohol withdrawal symptoms was Ativan. This measured up with what I've read on various medical sites too. I told him about how for the last four days I have experienced shortness of breath, healt palps, dizziness and lightheadedness and he told me that these were caused by my anxiety and panic attacks and he told me to up my dose of Ativan to two 1mg pills per day and to MAKE SURE to come in and see him right away if I began experiencing any withdrawal symptoms. He also told me that I was well past the stage of having withdrawal symptoms since today is day 13 for me. Anyway, I finally saw my doctor, he was supportive and compassionate with very good bedside manner and he gave me everything I wanted and hoped for so I would say this has been a pretty good day so far.

Anyway, just thought I'd share

- Need4Change
Old 12-31-2007, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go on day thirteen. That was a good move when all else fails go to the doc. My wife has had to remind me many times that I don't have a medical degree LOL. I've always though I knew more so I would up or lower my meds myself (not good). These days I just follow the presciption orders and leave it at that. I'm glad you checked in to let us know how your doing. Keep working at it. It may not seem like it but things can only get better over time.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't let the fact that New Years Eve falls on your 13th day of Sobriety bother you. Keep up the good work.
I'm not a big fan of Doctors for any number of reasons and I avoid them like herpes.
GABA (gama-aminobutyric acid) is the Non-Prescription remedy for stress and anxiety for the Recovering Alcoholic. You can find it at your local GNC or any other Vitamin type store if you don't have a GNC. Vitamin B-12 is also a good one for depression. Glutathione protects your liver and reduces your cravings for alcohol.
These methods are well worth a try for those that have an adversion to Doctors.
Anyways, I'm looking forward to your report tomorrow entitled "How I spent my New Years Eve"
Old 12-31-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are very lucky to have found a good dr.

Keep moving forward!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Need4. Asking for help was only one of my big hurdles and I am still not too good at it. Good doctors who understand alcoholism are very precious.

I am proud of you.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you, Need4. I can hear the relief in your post. May 2008 be your year! Hugs, J