I went to alanon last night

Old 12-31-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to alanon last night

My 16 yo son will be returning from residential treatment in about a month. I am so anxious about it. The topic of the alanon meeting last night was on FEAR. How appropriate. I am so scared my son will slip after he gets out. And I feel depsarate just thinking about it. I have this tendancy to want to direct his recovery for him - give him the laundry list of "to dos" I have come up with for ways he can live right and stay clean. But this worry is sucking the life out of me! I am instead supposed to put my energies into taking care of MYSELF, so that I can feel strong to deal with whatever happens. What I heard there was to alleviate the fear, you need to focus on the immediate things before you. For me today it is going to be paying bills, going to the bank, and calling a gal I met there at the meeting. The BIG things are to have FAITH and to put yourself into ACTION. I will pray today and ASK GOD for strength to do the next right thing. Hopefully by folliwng these few simple things, the fear will subside and perhaps be replaced with HOPE. I will come here to this site to share and read others experiences to help me in my own recovery and to grow. Thank you for being here. It feels like a life raft to me in many ways.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
krhea75

Hey Jehnifer,
I can relate with the fear. I have been there many times. But you know, the funny thing is, the fear never affected my son. it was more about me than him. He has done what he has done in spite of my wishes and directions. So the fear ended up just making me fearful. By the way, my son after 5 rehabs and screwing up numerous times is holding his head above water for today. Today is all we have.
krhea
Old 12-31-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you, jehnifer, I'm glad you got yourself to a meeting (now it's my turn!). It sounds like the meeting helped you a lot and gave you some good information. It can sometimes be so hard to focus on ourselves, when this addiction (and the problems that come along with it) have ruled our lives for so long. But we can do it!!!
Vanessa