Meetings/Family Sessions at ABF's Rehab?

Old 12-30-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meetings/Family Sessions at ABF's Rehab?

I have a question that came up to me in my thread about my first Naranon meeting:
Anyone have any experience with what types of meetings/sessions rehabs offer for family members (if any)?

My ABF (Brian) is in a rehab right now, and Brian has told me they have some type of meeting I am supposed to go to at some point. I'm not sure exactly what type of meeting it is (and neither is he yet).

Also, is it normal that the rehab has made no contact with me at all? Brian did just finish detox on Christmas, started a pre-orientation this past Thursday, isn't starting his actual rehab orientation until tomorrow (Monday), and won't have a bed in the rehab dorms until sometime this week (he is sleeping in the detox facility until then).

Since I've never been through this before, I'm not sure how much rehabs typically integrate the family into the process, with family sessions, with and without the addict, or if they have Naranon-type meetings for family. Or if they pretty much focus 100% on the addict, and not the family.

Thanks!
Vanessa
Old 12-30-2007, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Vanessa,
I go to a rehab twice a month. It is required that the family or friends go to a meeting before they can see their loved one. It is either a Nar-Anon or Al-Anon meeting. I know they have family meetings and have been told that it is about both of you, your feelings etc. Each rehab has different things set up, I know one of them has a two day program for the families to get help, and it is each week. One even has it on Friday night, Sat all day and part of Sunday. It starts out as a meeting for YOU and helps and teaches you what to do and not to do with an addict. They do say if you would do it for someone else without thinking twice than it should be ok to help the addict, example take them for a meal, or take them to get gas in their car.
Good luck and wishing you the best of luck with this