Naive..?

Old 12-28-2007, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Naive..?

I'm not sure who's being naive here, me or my ABF, he's addicted to meth, but apparently been off it for about 2/3 months, however last weekend he went out and had an E.

He reckon's it's fine because 'that's not what he's addicted to' and that with E he 'doesn't need it the next day, like he would with meth'.

This makes sense to some extent, it's a different substance, different reaction to it, different level of addictiveness... ?

My problem with it is that from my point of view it's still being in that similar crowd, still putting himself in that environment where it's ok to use, to some extent at least. From my viewpoint it's like being back were he was before he ever tried meth, and I don't know that that's such a safe place to be! Why would you risk it?!

From an experienced point of view? Anyone got any views on this?

Often I am concerned that my A has the knowledge is power thing over me as I have never touched anything, ever, bar one evening on a tinsy bit of acid. Very few of my friends use anything even recreationally, most also have never. I've just never been around it, until I met him! Grrr!
Old 12-28-2007, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

To me a drug is a drug is a drug. I find a simple distinction between legal and illegal works for me.

Some people go to great lengths to justify their use of illegal drugs. For me there were a few questions - #1 would be what is up with that person that he needs to numb himself with a substance, and #2 would be what is up with ME that I need to work on.

Others will be along soon to share their experience, strength and hope.

Cats
Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On a tear

E is exstacy, isn't it? I thought that was a combination drug that included a form of speed? If so... he hasn't even switched drugs.

What I have seen is when an addict switches to a drug that is not his drug of choice, he takes is only for a while, then his inhibitions are down and he goes back to his DOC after some time.

For me, an alcoholic, I tried different drinks that I knew I didn't like... but as soon as I got a good enough buzz going, I always switched back to rum and coke.... and 15 a night.

What I have had to learn is to believe actions and behaviors and tune out ENTIRELY the words. More truth happens that way.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In NA, everybody knows you can't use any drug in any form that gets you high. They all lead back to your drug or drugs of choice, sometimes quickly, sometimes more slowly. Addicts will do anything to justify their using. Addicts will try any which way to avoid being clean. So be careful for yourself now. he's using.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

get away from this man, he will only do you harm.

Someone here once (Thanks, Brett) told me it was kinda of a blessing in disguise to be naive about drugs. There is some truth to this. You don't use, your friends don't use. Find a boyfriend who doesn't use. You deserve it!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

E was accidently created by someone who was tring to make crystal meth but screwed up on the compounds. It eats holes in your brain - same as meth. It is speed off by one molecule. You can read it's history on the internet.

It may not have the same intense "craving" component as meth but it completely depletes your serotonin levels and leaves you depressed afterwards, which leaves you wanting something to make you feel better and whole again. Another hit of E. A line. A puff. A drink. Anything to change the way you feel.

A drug is a drug is a drug. One leads to another. Stellargirl is right. Don't waste your life dating drug addicts. I did. I wish I would have found a whole person when I was younger. Not one who needed drugs to feel complete.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Addiction is addiction; it matters little what the drug of choice (doc) is. A substance is a substance and if he tries to tell you he's ok because he's not using one over another, don't believe him. He's quacking and just wanting you to believe it's better.

He will tell you what he thinks you want to hear. He's obviously living in the State of Denial and unless you want to become as crazy as he is, I would move quickly to another state!

Addicts are masters of disguise, manipulation, lies and theft. The drugs, regardless of what they are using, make it so. As long as he is actively "using" anything, he's an active addict! He'll use whatever he can get his hands on.

Hugs,
Marteen
Old 12-29-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Minimizing.

what addicts do best.

do you believe what you see......or what he says?
Old 12-29-2007, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Do you want to be with a man who does drugs?

I finally realized I didn't. And I didn't care what it was.

He seems to be taking advantage of your inexperience with drugs. Again. I'm sorry, tabitha. You're a very nice and supportive person....only you can decide what kind of life you want.

XOX
GL