Notices

Day #1 (again)

Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day #1 (again)

Hi everyone,

I joined in September and made it through 3 or so weeks of sobriety. I really felt great during those 3 weeks and I was constantly reading here which really helped. I went on a family vacation in early October and started drinking again... back to 1-2+ bottles of wine at night. Gross. Last night, falling down 1/2 flight of stairs knocked some determination back into me. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself (again). I drink a lot out of boredom. My triggers are other people drinking (wine) around me and stressful situations. I have 3 fabulous young sons, one of whom is extra challenging . I want to stop using excuses to justify my drinking. So it hasn't been 24 hours quite yet, but if I make it to midnight without drinking, this will be my day #1 again. I hope to start the new year sober. I want to start cleaning up some of the mess that I have made of my life.

It is so nice to see some familiar names Best sober wishes to all the newbies, too. :ghug2

Reubie
Old 12-28-2007, 08:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back!

Do you have a plan?

Blessings to you and your family
Old 12-28-2007, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Welcome Reubie!

I am so glad you came back. I had 23 days myself, left the board and relapsed too. Today I have 38 days and I feel great! (i have 2 boys)

Are there any meetings in your area? Here is to a sober NEW YEAR!

Sheila
Old 12-28-2007, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi Reubie,

It's great that you had the courage to start again and return to this board. I know what it's like to start over; it's hard, but a wonderful choice.

Just day 17 for me and I couldn't do it without the support here.

I wish you strength in your fresh start
Old 12-28-2007, 10:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Welcome back Reubena!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome back to SR
Old 12-29-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Ruebena- Great to have you back. I also drank often out of boredom and habit. It helps to change your routine. For me, the minute I was done working, I'd open a bottle of wine. It would always be gone by the end of the evening. Now, when I'm done working I don't go to the kitchen. I now either immediately take the dog for a long walk or I go to the gym, or put a load of laundry in- anything but go into the kitchen.

Also, I've changed my drink of choice to diet tonic water with lime. Now I crave that in the evenings-- hey, better than chardonnay!

Good luck, and stay with us!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Reubena,

Welcome back!

Since you know it's a trigger to be around people drinking wine, that's an easy one to avoid. I definitely could not be around people drinking anything, for a very long time. The stress is harder to figure out. I needed to find ways to deal with stress so I wouldn't automatically turn to alcohol. Exercise helps, so does music or a good movie.

I do hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Wow, we sound like TWINS!. Same triggers, same long-term sobriety and then a relapse, etc. I'm on day 11# and I'm STILL having major cravings (psycological, physical, spiritual or whatever they are) they are STILL cravings and they are driving me nuts. Keep being strong!!

- Need4Change

Originally Posted by Reubena View Post
Hi everyone,

I joined in September and made it through 3 or so weeks of sobriety. I really felt great during those 3 weeks and I was constantly reading here which really helped. I went on a family vacation in early October and started drinking again... back to 1-2+ bottles of wine at night. Gross. Last night, falling down 1/2 flight of stairs knocked some determination back into me. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself (again). I drink a lot out of boredom. My triggers are other people drinking (wine) around me and stressful situations. I have 3 fabulous young sons, one of whom is extra challenging . I want to stop using excuses to justify my drinking. So it hasn't been 24 hours quite yet, but if I make it to midnight without drinking, this will be my day #1 again. I hope to start the new year sober. I want to start cleaning up some of the mess that I have made of my life.

It is so nice to see some familiar names Best sober wishes to all the newbies, too.
Reubie
Old 12-29-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Ruebena ! Welcome back!

I have found the steps and support I have in AA an invaluable tool for clearing away that wreckage I created !

if the ladders broken , use the steps

HUGX
Leigh
Old 12-29-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Ruebena your post sounded just like me I drink when Im bored lonely angry tired ( Halt) . I did drink over christmas didnt abuse it just had a couple but fell back to my bad habits last night so Im going to have to discipline myself as thats one failing I have lack of disipline!. Im going back to my AA meetings which help so much and of course reading here helps too. All the best we can do it!!
Ang
Old 12-29-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome back and whats the plan?
Old 12-29-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you came back!

Tonight at my AA meeting there were two members that relapsed after quite a bit of sobriety. They were incredibly bummed out and they were down on themselves. I could only think of how strong they were to accept that it happened and then to come back and try again. They were so wise to do that. It happens but just try one hour at a time they do add up. Some hours are harder than others. Then come here. I did and got through that alcoholic thinking that definitely is powerful and cunning and self destructive.

Keep coming back!
Old 12-31-2007, 04:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Way to go Reubena, hope you're on here today so I can wish you a very happy new year!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 05:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Working on day 4 today. So glad to be starting the New Year on such a positive note. My plans are to keep wine out of the house, & NOT buy wine at the grocery or drive thrus. My problem will be not drinking when I am over at my Mom's house. I am going to let my family know that I won't be drinking anymore (they have heard that before, but still, they will be supportive of me). Another past trigger would be drinking at restaurants, but since the kids arrived, we haven't gone out to a restaurant for dinner It will be something to worry about though when the boys get older.

I am very scared to go to an AA meeting but I am going to look AA up to see when some of the meetings are around here.

RK... you really are an inspiration, dude! I will have a cup of tea around 6 pm tonite to ring in the new year with you. (not sure if I got the time difference right, but it's the thought that counts )

Take care everyone...

Old 12-31-2007, 05:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome back!
Old 12-31-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome back ruebena:
I am very scared to go to an AA meeting but I am going to look AA up to see when some of the meetings are around here.
I was scared to death of AA also, the scariest part of all was walking in that door, once I walked through that door I knew I had found people who understood me and they cared about me.

The most important thing I found when I first walked through those doors, was hope! There were people in those rooms smiling, laughing, talking, greeting each other with REAL hugs and hand shakes. I found hope for me, a man who was beaten into submission by alcohol hearing other people's stories whose problem was in some cases worse then mine, here they were, sober, with a twinkle in their eye, a smile on their face, confidence in them selfs, yet alcohol had at one time had them in just as bad a shape as I was in.

These people shared thier experience, strength and hope with me, freely, all I had to do was listen and ask questions. They loved me until I learned to love myself and they even showed me the way to learn to love myself again.

AA saved my life, they taught me how to live life on lifes terms with out drinking and how to be happy joyous and free! They have done the same for millions of others.