Notices

Sleeping alot ...why?

Old 12-27-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleeping alot ...why?

I am on day 16. I have noticed I sleep alot. Alot more than I did when drinking. In fact out of 24 hours yesterday between naps and bedtime I slept close to 14 hours.
I already took a 2 hour nap today and am looking forward to my kids bedtime so I can to sleep.
Is it my body repairing itself or what? Don't worry it's not depression I am just worn out lately and actually enjoy laying in bed.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Well, I'm certainly no doctor, but I know that the body does heal while we sleep.

I have had periods before in my life when I have come out of a stressful time and been able to sleep a lot.

If you are in a good frame of mind, and it's not getting in the way of anything, then it might be good for body and mind to have the rest.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Thank goodness for sleep. I am at day 70+ and maybe got 4 hours of sleep last night. I just wasn't tired. I wish I could catch up on some good zzzzzz's.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

If your worried then please see a Dr. I slept a lot during the day in early days and I used to have naps whneever I could
Old 12-27-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

And congrats on your time
Old 12-27-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Of course it is.We need rest to get back to good.Congrats on your new start.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd guess it's normal. Allot of people on here have said they sleep allot after they stopped drinking, me included.
Guess where I'm going now? (well it is 2am in my part of the world anyway)
Old 12-27-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANGELINA243 View Post
Thank goodness for sleep. I am at day 70+ and maybe got 4 hours of sleep last night. I just wasn't tired. I wish I could catch up on some good zzzzzz's.
I have said in many a meeting that one of the first gifts that God gives a recovering alcoholic is the gift of sleep.

Alcohol does absolutely terrible things to our bodies, including our biological clock. It takes time.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

needing lots of sleep

i find myself exhausted too...i normally don't nap in the middle of the day, and i have found myself wanting to...even though i can't because of the kids! my sleep is pretty restful now though...unlike when i was drinking....that was horrible...would pass out cold to wake up at 0 dark 30 in the am and not be able to get back to sleep till about 0600am and then it was almost time to get up and get going. waking up without a hangover is incredible! i think the body does need time to recup after the assault it goes through from night after night without rem sleep. i'm loving my zzz's when i can get them!here's to you enjoying them too!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Wow, I thought I was the only one!. I am on day 9 and find myself sleeping in late and not wanting to get up, fatigued during the day (everything seems like a MAJOR effort) and by about 9:00 PM I am just exhausted. It really does take our bodies time to heal the tremendous damage caused by years of drinking.

- Need4Change
Old 12-28-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

It has been suggested to me if your tired sleep, hungry - eat, thirsty drink (nonalcoholic drinks).
Try some of your favorite foods and beverages and drink and sleep alot. It works for me.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I am gald you posted this, so many folks in early sobriety suffer from insomnia for many months, I was like you early on, I slept like a baby and loved to do as much as possible!!!

I also had another issue which even at 15 months is still improving but not where it should be for me. Getting motivated to start doing things around the house I have been putting off for many years! I am getting better though, the funny thing is once I start on something I am just fine, the getting started is the hard part.

Early in sobriety I think it may have been because I was totally focused on staying sober, going to meetings and working the steps, which I can attest saved my life and was well worth the effort.