Missing my boyfriend who left for recovery

Old 12-25-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Missing my boyfriend who left for recovery

My boyfriend moved out last weekend. He is a recovering heroin addict and while he hasn't relapsed, he has been fearing he might. He moved back to his home town to move into a sober house and start working the program in full force. He's explained he has to do this alone. I understand it I get it but I feel like I'm losing my mind. I miss him so much I can't stand this, especially today. He's said that he may potentially be gone for a year or more and can't make any promises about that because he has to not be in this relationship at all right now so he can focus on himself. He called me this morning to say Merry Christmas and tell me how sad he is without me. After this we aren't supposed to talk for a while. I have no idea when I'll hear from him again. I know him being sober is most important but I hate that he has to be away from me for so long.. a year or more if even then seems impossible. I can understand taking the first few months alone because I know how much work it is but I am so willing to support him, why won't he let me support him after that? I'm trying to focus on myself right now but am finding that completely impossible. I just feel like I can't do this. He is the most important person in my life, he is my family.. Just feeling so lost right now..
Old 12-25-2007, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know how you are feeling. My boyfriend is just in a 4-8 week (or more if he needs it) rehab program, and I can still see him and talk to him. But the thought of living alone and not having him here for the day to day stuff is making me crazy sometimes. I know that he has made the right decision and am so proud of him for doing the right thing. It seems like he really does want to get clean this time. But I can't help thinking how lonely I am without him around (I don't have friends and family where I live now). I just have to keep telling myself that this is what is best for him.

I don't have any words of wisdom for you. Just want you to know that you are not alone in feeling how you feel. Everyone here at SR is great, and hopefully you can find some solace here.

Have you attended any Alanon or Naranon meetings? I never have but am planning on going to my first one this Saturday. Maybe it would help you.