Notices

Anticipation (These are the good old days)

Old 12-25-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Anticipation (These are the good old days)

Hevyn has a thread titled "The Way We Were", in which we looked back to Christmases Past and compared them to the way Christmas is this year. It gave me an idea for a thread based on another great song (I've take some small liberties with the lyrics to fit the occasion):

We can never know about the days to come
But we think about them anyway;
And I wonder if I'm really happy now
Or just chasin' after some finer day

Anticipation, anticipation
Is makin' me late
Is keepin' me waitin'

And I tell you how good it feels to be sober,
And how right to be a part of this community.
But I rehearsed those lines just late last night,
When I was thinkin' about how this holiday might be.

Anticipation, anticipation
Is makin' me late
Is keepin' me waitin'

And tomorrow we might not be together;
I'm no prophet and I don't know nature's ways.
So I'll try and see into your eyes right now;
And stay right here 'cause these are the good old days.

(These are the good old days)
And stay right here 'cause these are the good old days
(These are..the good old days)

So, from now on, when I'm tempted to think back to "The Way We Were", I'll remind myself that "These Are The Good Old Days!"
Old 12-26-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Goodness...of the 36 folks who peeped at this thread, not one had anything to add?

What is your personal interpretation of Carley Simon's song? To me, she seems to be saying that we place too much importance on the "outcome" (anticipation), and maybe forget that "the joy is in the journey"...and, when we look back to "the good old days", we lose sight of how much we have to be grateful for, right here and now ('cause these are the good old days). Waddaya think?
Old 12-26-2007, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Jersey,

This is good! I am still working on my first cup of coffee so perhaps I'll have something to add when I am a bit more lucid.

Hugs
Cats
Old 12-26-2007, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I guess I see two great/helpful thoughts for me:

1) Looking ahead kills the joy of now because it takes me out of it, so live in the present

2) "The good old days" weren't what I build them up to be in my head, and I can make actual good days to remember right now

Both are all about living well right here focused on the present moment--and that's about all we need!

Apologies for reading and not sharing earlier
Old 12-26-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

No apology necessary. I guess folks were too "wrapped up" in Christmas (pun intended) to be in a mood to wax philisophical. Glad you had some time to think about it, and your comments are welcome.

Come back, Cats, after your second cup of coffee!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Jersey as I am sure you know, for those of us in recovery what you are saying is so true, today is where I want and need to be, yesterday is gone, but not forgotten, but still not lived in. Tomorrow............. what ever!

You are right, today is the good old days.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi Jersey Nonny,

Heres what I got out of these lyrics:

I'm going to focus on today, appreciate it for what it is. Hopefully, if I get any tough stuff thrown at me, I'll deal with it in a good way. And I'm not going to drink.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Anticipation....

That word rarely shows up in my language anymore...did love the song the way you did it.

I try to live in today so I don't look too far ahead unless I put an appointment on my calendar.

I have a hard enough time keeping track of the date and day of the week without looking at the TV to get it.

Anticipation is fun when you know it isn't going to be a bad thing.

kelsh :ghug2
Old 12-26-2007, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jersey, I'm still in a Christmas Coma, so haven't been on here to read this 'til now! All my life I "anticipated" things being the way I wanted them. When I was in school I looked forward to graduating & having a job - everything would be great then! Well, being a 9-5'er wasn't exactly what I expected! I then looked forward to getting married & having my own home, & doing things my way - I'd have everything just like I wanted, and wouldn't have to listen to anyone's advice! Then when my marriage fell apart (due to alcohol) all I wanted was to have peace of mind once again, to not be sad & miserable, to raise my son to be a happy & good person. My son is 31 now - so that job (for better or worse) is done. Lately I find myself taking a long, hard look at me and worrying that my time on this earth is growing shorter and I haven't really "mattered" that much. I spent so much precious time anticipating the next phase of my life. Lately, the only thing that helps me feel worthwhile is helping others. This Christmas I took clothes & books to the homeless shelter in town (where many are recovering addicts). I plan to volunteer there. I also took food & blankets to the humane society, & plan to do that on a regular basis. I'm a better person now that I've stopped anticipating and started living.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'm a better person now that I've stopped anticipating and started living.
Good for you, Joanie! I used to tell myself, "Don't set unattainable goals, and don't expect too much...that way, you won't be disappointed." Of course, I didn't always remember my own good advice...after all, I'm only an alcoholic human!