Alanon meetings.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alanon meetings.

Does anyone know: Will Tuesday scheduled Alanon meetings take place on Christmas too?

Also, does anyone have any experience going to Alanon vs. Naranon? I know that an addiction is an addiction, just not sure if anyone has gone to both and found any difference or benefit of one vs the other.

Also, I have read here that it is fine for loved ones of addicts (not alcohol) to go to Alanon. But on their website it says "Am I Eligible? - In general if your life has been deeply affected by a friend or family member's drinking, you are welcome to attend any Al-Anon meeting." I think I'm nervous enough about going without feeling like I shouldn't be there.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Hi Vanessa,
I'm not sure if they'll be meetings on Tuesday.
But something I DO know,,,I go to Alanon, and both of my sons are addicts. There is no Naranon meetings where I live, so I've always attended Alanon. I just substitue the word drugging for drinking. There is alot of people there whose loved ones, drink, do drugs...addiction is addiction to me.

Hugs to you,
Old 12-25-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Vanessa,
I know that my home group of Nar-Anon will have a meeting tonight. We will be there for anyone who might need extra support today. I know for both Nar-Anon and Al-Alon anyone can attend as long as they love someone who has a addiction. As you read the information just say to yourself Addict instead of Alcholic. When you speak just say whatever you need to. We know that someplaces only have one type of meeting so attend it. They are there to help you too.
Good luck
Old 12-25-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest you call your local recovery numbers
for meeting information.

Look in the phone book for
whatever group you are interested in.

If you were referring to an on line meeting here
we have suspended them for now.
Tech's are working on the Chat as it's been broken.

You can Google for on line meetings...start with *****.

I do hope this helps...
Old 12-25-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When the disease of addiction takes a holiday, so will the 12 step groups.

But , since disease takes no holiday, recovery doesnt either.

All 12 step groups are always open, in my experience. You may find a much smaller turn out, but they will be there. My noon meeting today had 2 people....myself and another long timer. Best meeting Ive had in a long time.

I go to both nar-anon and alanon....both are great, just find the group which feels best to you. Same literature, same disease, just different strain. ALL family members are welcome in alanon, despite what thier misleading (IMO) info might say on the website. Many folks in alanon whose qualifier is an addict.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My small Al Anon group decided to not have a meeting on 12/24 or on 12/31.... but that's the first meeting I've ever gone to that wasn't up and running every single time it was scheduled.

I also know that you don't ever have to tell a soul why you're there. There isn't a screener at the door asking for your qualifying papers. Once you walk into a meeting, you know you belong there. Nar Anon or Al Anon? Doesn't matter around here. Some people have a problem with drugs or alcohol, and others have problems with those people! I bet you'll do just fine there.

Big hugs
Cats
Old 12-25-2007, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((Vanessa))

I've never been to -anon meetings, but can tell you about the AA/NA meetings I went to. I first went to AA because there were more meetings available where I lived, even though I am not an alcoholic. I finally found a few NA meetings, and they were okay, but I really enjoyed my AA meetings. There were several people in my AA homegroup that were either addicts, or addicts/alcoholics and they were all accepted. I would imagine a lot of al-anon meetings have a mixture of people affected by alcoholic/addicts, too.

I believe al-anon meetings will work just fine for you. The behaviors of alcoholics and addicts are pretty much the same. Although I never really discussed my addiction in the meetings, I still got what I need and I found people who I COULD talk about my addiction to after the meeting. I could also talk about my feelings and behaviors in the meetings - I just didn't mention the dope. Good luck!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy