I'm getting an eye job

Old 12-23-2007, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I'm getting an eye job

Some of you may remember last year when I contracted the mother of all eye infections--ocular cellulitis. Not only did it look atrocious, but it took a year to heal and left me with a somewhat disfigured right eye. The top lid lags a bit, the bottom lid retracted a bit, and an overgrowth of scar tissue (an adhesion) is pulling on the inner corner of my eye.

Not only have I taken on a cyclops appearance (which didn't do a lot for my self esteem), but the eyelid problem makes it difficult for me to close my eye tightly at night which has resulted an extremely dry eye and now corneal lesions, which are threatening my eyesight.

I looked into getting this corrected last year, but the insurance company considered it to be cosmetic surgery and not a physical problem with my eye, so I would have to foot the bill.

The good news is, now that it's causing corneal lesions, it will be covered by my insurance. I consulted with an orbital plastic surgeon last week and she's scheduled me for surgery on January 23rd, which will give me Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to recuperate, then I'll be back at work the following Monday. I hope I'll look presentable by then. If not, I'll just buy me some oversized Paris Hilton shades and carry a little Chihuahua.

While I'm not looking forward to the surgery, I'm really looking forward to seeing the old me again when I look in the mirror. This past year has been a year of growth and physical and spirtual transformations. I think this is going to be a good thing.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ICU

Gosh, I hope you're not in any pain.

Thank goodness the insurance company will now cover it, so that's a blessing for sure!

Give us a reminder before you go in for the surgery so we can send you off with good wishes! Never mind, I just wrote myself a stickie note!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The surgical assistant who scheduled the appointment said that most people who've had the surgery say there's only a minimal amount of pain afterwards. So, I'm not too worried about it. Thank goodness I'll be asleep during the procedure.

And just think--my brother will no longer be able to call me the cyclops (he does so in a loving, brotherly harrassment sort of way).
Old 12-23-2007, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ICU

Well, that's good to know that the pain will be minimal post surgery!. Hope you're not in any pain now prior to the surgery either.

And as far as 'brothers' go, all I can say is "oh brother"!!
Old 12-23-2007, 08:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
Some of you may remember last year when I contracted the mother of all eye infections--ocular cellulitis.
Hi FD:

Is there any way to prevent contracting this eye infection? It sounds really nasty.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you FD! I am happy for you. I am sorry you had to go thru that whole ordeal but glad that there is an option to get it fixed now! Take it easy! relax.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hope the surgery goes well and you are happy with the result. I'll keep you in my prayers.

I had a couple of eye surgeries about a year and half ago. I looked like a demon from hell for quite a while afterward due to accumulated blood in the eyeball. I found that getting creative with my eyepatch helped me since people were always wondering what happended, making comments about how awful it looked, blah, blah , blah. I changed the color of the patch to matach what I was wearing, went fo rhte pirate look, had fun with it.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Happy for you FD! Wishing you all the best during and after the procedure-
Old 12-24-2007, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've never had eye surgery, but a few years back I broke my eye socket. My face and neck were black, blue, yellow and green for weeks. Everyone was so nice to me!

I hope the surgery goes well, FD. ((()))
Old 12-24-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Denny!!!!! OUCH! That sounds very painful.....how does one break an eye socket?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here ya go, Jill.....just in case you need her. She's got her best lil "Hello Kitty" jumper on!

Old 12-24-2007, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rella927 View Post
Denny!!!!! OUCH! That sounds very painful.....how does one break an eye socket?
It only hurt when it happened LOL! The good news is I was in London; the bad I was looking at the lights in Hamleys toy shop, tripped over my own feet and ran face first into a concrete barrier. Also broke my wrist in three places. I know how to travel, baby!
Old 12-26-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

CC, I don't know how folks normally contract ocular cellulitis, but I got the infection because I had taken an anti-thyroid medication that can cause a rare condition called agranulocytosis (only 1% of folks who take that drug get this and I was the lucky 1%). Agranulocytosis destroyed my platelets and white blood cells (without my knowledge of course), leaving me open to major infections. I got a huge infection in my mouth that spread to my neck and eye.

It really was the mother of all infections. And while I'll look a mess after the upcoming surgery, I'm sure it will be nothing compared to what I looked like last year.

I like the idea of wearing a color-coordinated eye patch, Barbara. If it were Halloween instead of Christmas I could donn a sexy pirate costume and no one would be the wiser.

Ms. Pink, thanks for the Chihuahua. I want one!
Old 12-26-2007, 06:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Jill, I am _so_ glad you are finally getting your eye taken care of. You just keep making improvements to everything around ya, doncha? First it was your porch, with the furntiture you picked up and painted, then that raise, now your health. You're an inspiration, sweetie.

Mike (((( hugs ))))
p.s. I love the pirate patch idea. Me? I look like I walked into a tree, no way to "pirate" me up
Old 12-26-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
I look like I walked into a tree, no way to "pirate" me up
Maybe you could hang some lights on your head and claim you walked into a Christmas tree?

L
Old 12-26-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I like veggie hugs. Keep them coming. So is your bruising around your nose, your eyes, or both? I think it's important to get the details so the avatar gods can create an appropriate new avatar for you

So glad you're feeling better now. Hope you managed to enjoy your holiday. Mine was lovely!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

FD- From one dog lover to another- I hope your surgery goes well and your eye heals up nice and quick!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
Maybe you could hang some lights on your head and claim you walked into a Christmas tree? ...
* lmfao * You are _not_ helping!!!!

-------------------------------------------

I like veggie hugs. Keep them coming.
(((((((((((( HUGS ))))))))))))))))

... So is your bruising around your nose, your eyes, or both? I think it's important to get the details so the avatar gods can create an appropriate new avatar for you...
* lmao * you are not helping _either_!!!! this is your thread and I'm not gonna hijack it

but yeah, my nose is the size of an idaho potatoe, my whole face around eyes and cheek is swollen. Got huge bruises on my hands and arms from all the IV's, another bruise on the back of my head cuz they had to clamp it down or something when they did the brain surgery to pull out the bone fragments.

... So glad you're feeling better now. Hope you managed to enjoy your holiday. Mine was lovely!...
ty, ty, mine was wonderful. Went to one of my best friends home for dinner, met some of his family, talked to some artists. I have a life better than I ever imagined, and a huge part of that is thanks to the wonderful peeps here on SR.

-------------------------------------------

Mike
Old 12-27-2007, 06:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

but yeah, my nose is the size of an idaho potatoe, my whole face around eyes and cheek is swollen. Got huge bruises on my hands and arms from all the IV's, another bruise on the back of my head cuz they had to clamp it down or something when they did the brain surgery to pull out the bone fragments.
YES!! That's exactly the type of information the avatar gods need to create a new avatar for you. Now all I have to do is figure out who they are and pass on the information. I can envision your new avatar now. You'd make a fine potoccoli.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

Good luck FD.... I've had three, one on my left and two on my right, when I was a kid, starabismus(sp) any way it wasn't to bad. Hope the recovery is not to long!