Notices

The Insanity

Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Insanity

OK...I'm the guy who was brought to the ER 2 days ago in a benzo/alcoholic psychosis and literally ran screaming into the night....found wandering in the woods behind a bowling alley avoiding the K-9 units they sent out.....just found out my wife is staying a little late at work ( we're usually home together) and the first thing I thought...IN A FLASH...is how I could drink!!!!! Unbelievable....what the h*** is wrong with me....I'm barely alive now.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Addiction is insanity Rob and it will take some time before you can see things with more perspective. Do something for yourself, if your wife is working late.

Stay focused on your recovery.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey rob, you gotta find a counselor and/or aa group in your area to lean on. work on finding a way to be able to pick the phone and ask for help, ok?

meanwhile, keep posting here. a lot of good listeners on sr.

hugs, k
Old 12-18-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rob - Yes, thoughts can be very scary, I agree with you on that. If you feel like you may act on them, and drink, or use, get help now! Like K said, contact AA, etc.

If you are being frightened by your thoughts, which I completely understand and sympathize with, realize that you have spent a significant amount of time thinking about and planning your drinking. Your desire to quit and your recovery will not change those thought patterns over night. I recently read a great book about this type of obsessive thought and how to "reprogram" your thought patterns. I can't think of the title off hand, if you are interested, pm me and I will look for it.

Keep working - you can do this. Jomey
Old 12-18-2007, 11:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

IN A FLASH...is how I could drink!!!!! Unbelievable....what the h*** is wrong with me....I'm barely alive now.
Well, you're an alcoholic, Rob!!! It's not by accident that the second step is "Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

I checked back to some of your posts to find some mention of AA...the one I saw said you had been in and out of AA since 1983. Are you currently in or out? Maybe it's time to jump back in as though your life depended on it...sounds pretty much like it does!

BTW...does your local AA have a telephone hot-line? Ours does, and it's not uncommon to have people call who are trying desperately not to pick up...sometimes, all it takes is someone on the other end who knows what you're going through and can talk to you for a few minutes. Try it, please.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Have you called your doctor?
Have you called your local AA?

You are not a well man and you need
hands on help. JMO

Prayers give me comfort
Tried that?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Robzoloft View Post
the first thing I thought...IN A FLASH...is how I could drink!!!!!
It's just a thought. You don't have to act on it. Think the thought through. What if you do drink? Can you picture something similar happening as the ER incident? Think it all the way through and you'll probably see that you really don't want to go through it all again.

Keep posting here... better yet find a meeting to go to (not sure if you're going to AA or not).