Notices

not sure where to post

Old 12-18-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not sure where to post

Hello, I am not the substance user, but the partner of one. He has decided to stop drinking this decision was made last night. What I would like to know is how do I support him both physically (with symptoms of withdrawal) and emotionally? I am sure I can help with the emotional aspects but not sure about the physical. I have looked on line for info... I do know he needs to stay hydrated, but what can I do for hand tremors, and other physical symptoms? If I am not in the correct site and should be elsewhere for family members please let me know. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Get him to a doctor, detox from alcohol can and does kill people! If you do not know where to take him then call your local AA hotline.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome justsayno1952 . Does your partner have a doctor? It would probably be wise to at least give him a call.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, he really should talk to a dr because it can be very dangerous to detox from alcohol.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

justsayno- I think it's wonderful you want to be supportive! After he sees a professional, there will be a lot of things you can do to help. Not drinking in front of him, going to al-anon meetings, etc. But remember, he has to really want this. You can only be by his side in this struggle. Best of luck!!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the quick replies!!! He has refused to see a doctor, I am however a retired nurse and know the symptoms of extreme withdrawal so I think I can get help asap if that is required. I did not want to discourage him from this so I stopped pushing the doctor issue. Can you give me other pointers on dealing with this, I know it will not be easy but I am quite prepared to stand by him and support him physically and emotionally. Thanks so much for your response!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry, we do not give any medical advice here as we are not qualified.

You might want to seek Alanon help for yourself.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome to SR. You have found a great site.

That being said, you might want to check out our Friends and Familys forum:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/

As to helping your partner, keep the phone nearby and be ready to call 911 on a seconds notice. As has been said detoxing can be extremely dangerous and people have died detoxing. Seizures, dehydration, etc and giving fluids may not work if he gets to the point of reflex retching.

Its not pretty. I personally ended up in the hospital seizuring with a .38 blood alcohol because my body was craving MORE. My heart kept stopping and they were writing the TOD on my chart after the last one because I had been down for 28 minutes, when my heart started on its own.

So...............................BE PREPARED.

As you have said you are a retired nurse, just be prepared for anything. Everyone is different.

I hope all goes well. I hope you have found Alanon for you.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-18-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would keep telling him how proud you are of him. That works wonders for me.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all your helpful info, I will do some follow up. Again thanks so much.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

laurie6781 - wow.

just... wow. Makes my day 3 cramps and jitters feel muuuuch better

man, that's just crazy. How amazing are our bodies, to be able to put up with the punishment we inflict on them? Well, we know where it ends if we continue, but I am just blown away by your post.

Good luck, I hope you never experience that again (or anyone else for that matter!).

justsayno1952 - good luck with everything, you obviously love your husband very much - he is lucky to still have you.