Notices

Wife Needs Support For Recovery Alcoholic Husband

Old 12-17-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
WIFE'S SOBER FOR 4 YEARS NOW

Wife Needs Support For Recovery Alcoholic Husband

My husband has been sober for 4.5 years. I never knew him when he was drinking. Right now he's at an AA meeting. Sometimes I become overwhelmed with his personality. I love him dearly but he can really be immature. Is this normal? Are there certain traits in personalities of people who had been drinking most of their life and then become sober? I can't find any support groups. for spouses of recovering alcoholics. ANYONE? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is also a forum here for Friends and Families of Alcoholics - you will meet others right here who can assist you. I'll grab you a link hang on. And by the way, welcome!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/

Last edited by Rowan; 12-17-2007 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added link
Old 12-17-2007, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

search out alanon on the net you can find local meeting through the AA or Alanon ink. Your local paper may have something in the classifies and the phone book look under addtions. There are resources out there, hope your community, town, city has want you need and there is here. There is always a open mind, clear hearts and truth here. Forums are great to learn what you need to know. Redbear
Old 12-18-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I had heard, early on in my recovery, that the alcoholic's "emotional growth" becomes stunted from the time the drink is picked up. In other words, since I started drinking at 16, my emotional growth would have become activated again when I quit 32 years later. Don't know how much truth there is to that theory; but, I do know I had an awful lot of "growing up" to do through AA. Am I now, at the chronological age of 76, an emotional 44? WOW! That means my daughter and I are "the same age"! Better not tell her...I'm sure she'd find a way to use it against me.

Seriously, the suggestions you've received about the forums here and Al-Anon meetings should be of some help to you.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

As the others have said, AlAnon is the answer for your support and it's probably in your phone book or you can find it here:

http://www.pa-al-anon.org/meetings.php?id=3
Old 12-18-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WIFEY View Post
My husband has been sober for 4.5 years. I never knew him when he was drinking. Right now he's at an AA meeting. Sometimes I become overwhelmed with his personality. I love him dearly but he can really be immature. Is this normal? Are there certain traits in personalities of people who had been drinking most of their life and then become sober?
Addiction is a disease that leads to emotional regression. Recovery isn't just about abstinence from alcohol, but rather addressing the emotional regression that occurred while the person was drinking or drugging. I think it's great that people quit drinking and drugging, myself included, but what good is it if you spend the rest of your life as an emotional cripple? I am speaking in general here, since I don't know your husband personally. AA is a wonderful place to start, and would highly recommend it to anyone, even though I think it has its shortcomings. Al-Anon sounds like it would be a good for place for you.

Peace.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Okay let me hit you with the obvious.... okay it is for me an active AA member, ask your husband for a "Where & When". This is a list of AA meetings and usually includes Alanon meetings.

I can honestly say that most of us are a bit immature, part of it I think is the joy we find in sobriety makes us a bit child like. Sobriety after 40 years of drinking for me is like a new toy..... it is wonderous, beautiful, freeing, exciting!

After 40 years of drinking, seeing the world through sober eyes is indescribable!!! Only a recovered alcoholic or addict could begin to understand, things that normal people have been experiencing thier whole life are all so new to me even after 456 days sober (Not that I am counting!LOL)

Alanon will help you a lot in understanding why you feel the way you do, you will also learn that you are not alone and how others have dealt with the same things you are dealing with now. Another thing more importantly you will find out is just how blessed you are that your husband is in recovery and not still out there.