Notices

I'm back- I had some technical difficulties

Old 12-17-2007, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back- I had some technical difficulties

Hi All- I had been posting as LauraSFO, but somehow I got logged out and when I tried to log back in it didn't recognize my password. So I put my email address in, I was sent a temporary password---which didn't work.

Long story short, I gave up and used a different email address- hence the new and slightly different name.

AAAAAAAAny way. I'm here on day 18 feeling fantastic! Life is so good. I have so much energy- I rejoined the gym yesterday and went to a yoga class today. My body feels good again!! Just wanted to share my joy.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi LauraSFO1... nice to meet you ! 18 days is excellent and congrats on the gym & yoga . I just came in from a yoga class...it really does do wonders for your body & spirit.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Gypsy. I'm not very good at all the poses yet, but it just feels good to move and stretch! I'm sure I'll improve in time!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Oh yeah... it gets better the more you go. Just follow along and do what you can. The stretching and breathing is very soothing and relaxing to me... which the carries over to the rest of the day. I'm glad you fixed your technical difficulties .
Old 12-17-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and cooooool on your 18 days.

Boy, I had some issues to. My computer crashed and burned. My power supply went to heck and then my hard drive. Then I change internet provider and was without internet for 3 days. I felt lost without my computer for a minuet. ha ha
Old 12-17-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Laura,
Congrats on 18 days...i cannot tell you the last time i did not have a drink for 18 days let alone 4 or 5. i am new here and feeling overwhelmed right now by the fact that i am finally acknowledging to myself that i have a problem. actually, i have acknowledged it for a while, but have ignored it. It has been a blessing to find this site. I have been thinking about trying yoga, and just last week bought a new dvd...i'll have to put it to use. i think it will help with the anxiety! keep up the good work!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I never thought I'd be at day 18 either! But...2 days turned into 8, then 12, now 18. I just keep telling myself it's poison and I don't want it in my life anymore.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's a great way of thinking about it. I can think of so many things i don't put into my body because i consider them to be poison, yet i so freely consume multiple drinks without a thought. i guess it's the whole loss of inhibitions thing. My drinking has become so bad!!!then again i think it's always been bad and i just never thought much about it. i think i mostly drink out of boredom or anxiety in social situations. i am a huge social drinker, but this is becoming a problem...as i have made a fool of myself several times in the past year. i have got to get this under control!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wine-not- I'm not sure what you mean by "control", but I tried many times over the past 10 years to control my drinking...and personally, I can't. I tried the "no more than 2 drinks at any occassion" and "no drinking Monday-Thursday" and "no drinking for one month, then I'll be ok". None of them worked for me for long. Ultimately I was back to my bottle of wine every night. I finally admitted I couldn't control it, and quitting altogether is actually simpler.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Laura,
That's exactly what i mean about control. i don't mean controlling my drinking, i mean giving it up all together. i too tried the methods you have mentioned, and have come to the realization that i just should not drink. i lack the off button! i don't know if it's worse right now because my husband is deployed and i am constantly worried about him, and dealing with all of the responsibilities of the kids and home on my own. i know these are excuses, i just don't know how to deal with the anxieties, depression, and loneliness...so booze has become my escape, and an easy way to fall asleep! i can't do it anymore though. i am tired of feeling sick, hung over, and guilty. tomorrow will be day 3, which is not that hard for me...i have been able to go 5 days without, and on the 6th day is when i am so cranky and irritable i can't stand it. it makes it even worse if my kids are acting up, throwing fits, or just being kids and being hyper. i need to find a way of destressing without turning to booze!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wine-not- it sounds like you have a lot to handle all by yourself. Do you have any friends or family who could help a bit with the kids, or at least go to a movie with? You do need some release.

With regard to your kids- I know people say you can only stop drinking for yourself, but what about them? Can you not drink for them-- to be sure you can care for them always? What if there is an emergency late at night, can you deal with it if your drunk? With your husband away right now, it's so important to be there for your kids. So sorry if this sounds preachy, I'm just trying to give you one more darn good reason to quit!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Laura,
No I do not take this personal. Believe me...all of this has caused me much grief and guilt. Sometimes it becomes so overwhelming that i think i can have a couple and it turns into many! I am doing this not just for me, but mostly for them. i feel like i owe them that. i don't know when i became so maladjusted. yes, i do have friends. no family here to help. unfortunately a lot of my friends are in the same boat with husbands away and can't really do much in terms of helping. we have a huge social circle, and this is part of my problem. i think i drink more than they do most of the time, but we all have a few when we get together...i guess as a way to pass the time, but i have got to figure out a way to entertain myself with or without my friends...that does not include drinking. i am going to start going to aa after the holidays...i am leaving town on friday to see my family so right now is not a good time, but i wish i could. i know this is a hard time of the year to start sobriety, but i feel i need to do it now....i am way too far gone, and it's affecting my emotional well-being. thanks for your input!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

:ghug3
Old 12-18-2007, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Laura,
your last entry is empty-just wondering what happened?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't you see the big hug?? I had no comment other than that :ghug3
Old 12-18-2007, 04:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That has happened to me so much...sometimes I give up unless it is a forum I live for....that is why I never log out. But they once in a while want to have you log in and hopfully I can find my info in my cheat book.

Have a good day....18 days is wonderful!!!

kelsh
Old 12-18-2007, 04:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

sorry

Thanks laura...i am new at this...i did not get it. i appreciate it.