Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Is it best to avoid non alcoholic beer / wine over the holidays?

Notices

Old 12-17-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was wondering what every1 opinon would be about this? I was considering buying some non alcoholic wine and beer for christmas; so i sort of feel like i fit in.

What does everyone think about this? Is this a bad idea...
Thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it is fine. I have Kaliber in the fridge - I like the taste of beer so why shouldn't I enjoy it when there is no danger of a hangover?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

As you can see, from the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page, the subject comes up quite often. This was my response to the last one:

Why bother? Like dangling a carrot in front of a donkey...just a tease, as far as I'm concerned. Besides...I never drank for the taste, but for the effect. Not much in "near-beer"!
You can check what others had to say by clicking on the previous threads.

The general consensus is, "Not a good idea."
Old 12-17-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for pointing me in the right direction - with the previous posts.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well....
I do not drink or eat things with alcohol.
Not wise for me as I am an alcoholic.

If I have to drink poison to fit in
I would be changeing my space!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
NA drinks still contain a small percentage of alcohol. For me, I have to ask whether my actions are drawing me in the direction of a drink or towards recovery. Drinking NA beer is just too close to the real thing, I'd rather stick with tea and soft drinks. I find I "fit in" just fine with a club soda and lime;-)
Old 12-17-2007, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Although alcohol was but a symptom of my disease, IMHO why would I want to bring back a symbol of the symptom into my life? For me that would be tempting fate.

If I don't drink I don't get drunk...
Old 12-17-2007, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Probably best i stick to fruit juice then. Thanks for your feedback.

If i can do it this xmas it will be the first for about 12 years sober. I am determined this time. I have cut right back and did not drink this week end and I am going through conselling which is helpful.

I just looked at this posting and realised i have been joined to SR for a year now! Since i started the whole am I or am i not an alcoholic question? I still dont really no if i definetly am an alcoholic all i know is that it does not me live my life. Thanks for all your advice and support over the last year. A
Old 12-17-2007, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Juice, Fizzy drinks and water are great. These days my focus is not on what I drink but on life around me.

Kevin
Old 12-17-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anyone ever got drunk on NA beer? I don't think you get drink it fast enough to feel the slightest bit tipsy.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I have posted this before, but I have for years bought cases of grape juice from the Navarro Vineyards. It is grape juice, not Nonalcoholic wine. They are fantastic, great gifts and the kids love them as well. The family that owns this winery developed the product for family members. They are actually part of the wine list at the Grand Californian here in Disney's resort and it is a festive and safe approach to holiday beverages.

http://www.navarrowine.com/main.php

They are rather expensive, but very high quality and some of the white variety makes fantastic cooking additives in lieu of wine. Some of the grapes used are Gewürztraminer and Pinot Noir.

I do agree that club soda and lime will get anyone through the "cocktail hour" very easily.

Jon
Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post
I have posted this before, but I have for years bought cases of grape juice from the Navarro Vineyards. It is grape juice, not Nonalcoholic wine. They are fantastic, great gifts and the kids love them as well. The family that owns this winery developed the product for family members. They are actually part of the wine list at the Grand Californian here in Disney's resort and it is a festive and safe approach to holiday beverages.

http://www.navarrowine.com/main.php

They are rather expensive, but very high quality and some of the white variety makes fantastic cooking additives in lieu of wine. Some of the grapes used are Gewürztraminer and Pinot Noir.

I do agree that club soda and lime will get anyone through the "cocktail hour" very easily.

Jon

Can you send me a truck load
Old 12-17-2007, 07:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm going for third fresh orange juice topped up with very fizzy white lemonade, and with a thin slice of lime in it, and a maraschino cherry on a stick (delicious).

And I've told a few gossips that I can't drink because I am on medication and alcohol would make me very ill (if I said straight out I was an alky trying to quit some joker would put booze in my soft drink for a laugh).

Not touching any fake stuff - some of it is 1.5% alcohol, which is plenty to get me sliding back to the gutter. Besides, it tastes all chemically and nasty.

There was a study done a while ago (can't track it down with Google) that showed recovering alkys using fake beer and wine relapsed at about twice the rate of the control group (and it was a large sample if I remember correctly).

Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Personally I wouldn't touch it. It may not have alcohol in it, but it's a taste of what got me into this mess. I wouldn't smoke a joint rolled with tobacco, to me it seems like the same thing. Then again I drank for the buzz, not for the taste. Seems too risky.. I know its non-alcoholic but it still seems like keeping too friendly a relationship with booze.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics...

John
Old 12-18-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I don't like veggies, but I love tomato juice or V-8; so, if I'm having dinner out, I'll often order a Virgin Mary...it looks and tastes great...to me, anyway.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Amelie my poison of choice was wine, not only did i get rat faced on it.....i loved the taste

i couldnt even try to drink the alternative, best avoided- nah......run run run away cait

i know i cant put that kind of temptation in my way

just love this smilie
Old 12-18-2007, 09:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I used to fancy myself a connoisseur of fine wines...that's when I wasn't guzzling the cheap stuff by the gallon. Perhaps I could become a connoisseur of fine grape juice!?!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hmmmmmmm if I was a sexaholic and got a blow up doll would that lead me to think more or less about the real deal?

Just my opinion. I never drank beer for the taste even though I did like the taste of some better then others.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've tried a couple non-acoholic wines and they suck!! They taste to me like apple juice that's gone bad. What I do like is sparkling cider.