Notices

A little confused...

Old 12-16-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little confused...

A phrase that I hear a lot is "Life on life's terms". I can't really seem to understand what this means and everytime somone says it I just wonder what the heck they are talking about. Is it just accepting the things that I cannot change? I have no clue, a little help maybe? Thanks!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it is accepting things you cannot change. I was a huge control freak and trying to hold on tightly to my world was exhausting. It is really hard to recognize which things in your life you can change and which you cannot, but it also very freeing. I think an example of accepting life on life's terms would be if you lost your job because your company went bankrupt. You have no choice but to accept that. However, how you deal with the situation from then on, is something you can control.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I've also heard another phrase, "Man proposes, God disposes." In other words, we can plan all we like and even try to manipulate circumstances to suit our idea of how things should be; but, ultimately, it's God who calls the shots! The sooner we are able to accept that concept, and live life on life's terms, the more serenity we'll enjoy.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
A phrase that I hear a lot is "Life on life's terms". I can't really seem to understand what this means and everytime somone says it I just wonder what the heck they are talking about. Is it just accepting the things that I cannot change? I have no clue, a little help maybe? Thanks!
For me it's just that...acceptance of the things I cannot change.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No crying over spilled milk, no numbing yourself from the reality of life (with substances or emotionally distancing yourself from the world) - that's what life on life's terms means to me. I always think of a song my grandmother used to listen to "Sunrise, sunset...one season following another, laden with happiness and tears" - there has to be some of each in everyone's life and we have to accept it and live with it.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For me....
it means facing life responsibly with a clear mind
Accepting both pain and joy is going to happen.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

It's accepting the things I cannot change and changing the things I can. It's finding the appropriate spot on the number line that stretches from "I am nothing" to "I am everything". Serenity, courage and wisdom are located in the neighborhood of the half way point.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Captain Lurker

((findingout)) perfectly said.

Life is just life. I can not change what happens, I had to learn to accept that and learn to feel all that comes my way, like it or not.