Thursday's Good Thing

Old 12-15-2007, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Thursday's Good Thing

My sister and I met a few weeks ago to exchange a cook book, so we decided to meet each other half way at a local restaurant. I think this is the first time I've ever met my sister for dinner--I mean just her--not her children, her husband, my daughter, mother, or other siblings.

Anyway, we had a great time. We caught up on each other's lives and talked about our children, our partners, our jobs, our siblings, our childhood, her upcoming divorce, the upcoming holiday--you name it. We laughed and talked and shared things that we've never shared with each other before. It was a really special night.

So special, in fact, that I asked my sister to meet me at another restaurant about a week later to celebrate her birthday. Once again, we had a fabulous time. Our waiter for the evening was a good looking guy in his early twenties named Rob. He asked us if we wanted to order an appetizer and I asked him what he recommended. He said that this was his second day on the job and as part of his training he had to taste every dish on the menu (I'd love that!). I asked him to surprise us and bring us whatever appetizer he liked best.

He brought us some kind of teriyaki glazed chicken on skewers with a honey/ginger dipping sauce. It was fabulous. So, when it came time for dessert I decided to ask him to surprise us once again and bring us something yummy. He brought us a piece of carrot cake with caramel and raspberry sauce and two cups of coffee with cream and sugar.

We both commented on how fun it was to throw caution to the wind and let our waiter bring us a surprise appetizer and dessert. So much fun, in fact, that I told him we'd be back next week. But this time, I wanted him to choose the entire meal for us--the appetizer, entree, and dessert. I asked him what days he'd be working so he'd be sure to be there.

My sister and I both went home and told our daughters about our little adventure with Rob the waiter and they asked if they could join in on the fun this week (probably because we told them he was hot). I told them they were welcome to join us, but they had to let Rob choose the entire meal, and that part of the fun was the element of surprise. So, on Thursday my sister and I, my daughter, and my sister's two daughters met for a ladies' night out. We had a great time together, the girls had lots of fun flirting with Rob, and we had great meal, too.

There was a method to my madness when I first asked Rob to surprise us with an appetizer and then dessert. It was an exercise about embracing change and letting the events of the evening unfold naturally. The more I embrace change the better my life seems to get.

My sister and I had such a good time throwing caution to the wind that we've decided to treat ourselves to a weekly ladies night out and always let the waiter order for us. We really enjoyed the element of surprise. It made us sample things we would never try before. I think we'll stick with Thursdays because we're Thursday people.

The winds of change are blowing. I think I'll find me a Mary Poppins style umbrella, pop it open, and just let the wind pick me up and take me where it will. There are so many good things to see and do--things that I overlooked for years because I was caught up in my alcoholic's problems. Who knew that a simple meal could be so much fun?

Surprise appetizers, entrees, and desserts are just the beginning. Look out world, here I come.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you. You post boasts a newfound happiness that you really deserve.

I think I'll give it a try. So many changes in my life right now I better get to embracing real quick...
Old 12-15-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

FD, your post kind of reminds me of me and my sister, who is actually my half-sister. I have no memories of her until I was about 8 or 9 because she lived with her father and step-mother and is 9 years older than me. A couple of years ago we went on a 2 night get away together to Lancaster, PA and this year we went to Virginia Beach. We have so much fun together we've decided to do this every year. It has brought us so much closer. Our very common bond is the fact that her son and my husband are both alcoholics. I hope you keep doing this and having a wonderful time.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I like this. Getting to know more about each other and less about the addicts in our lives.

I realized recently that the Alcoholics forum is about them and the Friends and Family forum is about them, too. Somewhere along the way we lost ourselves. But it doesn't have to be that way. We have the power to change that.

My Good Things postings is my way of finding myself again. Anyone care to join me?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well, my good thing for today...which is saturday....is that i managed to get high speed internet AND wireless hooked up with the help of technical support via telephone without hanging up and crying from frustration.

for a change, i engaged in conversation with the techie, instead of being paralyzed with fear about technology, and beginning the phone call being so apprehensive and defensive.

i made up my mind to enjoy the phone call and try to learn something and not be hurried or frustrated. it turned into a pleasant, although time consuming, event and the outcome was that i had high speed, wireless internet without having a panic attack!

yes, the times, they are a'changin! i love it, too, fd......it feels so wonderful to embrace life instead of fighting it at every turn and twist.

thanks for the post....it reminds me to keep it simple.

love to you
jeri

and i'm still working on that receipe for ham stuffed potato dumpling, cabbage soup. i'll share it real soon, ok? and no, i'm not a german gal, i just happened upon this soup in a tearoom and fell in love with it. i had to try to duplicate the recipe since they don't share, and come up with a pretty durn near version.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

Thank you for this lovely story. My sister is not so easy to get along with. But it gives me hope!~