Notices

Thoughts on Step 6

Old 12-14-2007, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Thoughts on Step 6

"We're entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character."

Here we go again---into the "letting go" mode. We first did it in Step Three, but now we're supposed to believe that the only way our defects can be removed is to trust a power, whom we're still uncertain of, to do the job for us.

Well, not exactly. The principle that faith without works is dead, holds true for Step Six. The Twelve Steps in their entirety are part of the process of recovery. None of them, however, suggests that we passively relinquish all personal responsibility.

Sometimes we have to act as if a defect has been removed, even though we don't feel it has been. We experience reluctance to let go of those defects we feel are part of our personalities, arguing that without them we'd appear very dull and uninteresting.

As we being to learn that we can live our way into good thinking, but can not think ourselves into good living, Step Six becomes more valuable and understandable.
Step by Step. Muriel Zink
Old 01-19-2008, 02:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This step reminds me to ask myself "what is my part in the problem." As no matter what difficulties I face I have always played some role in them. Usually my difficulties have resulted from a character defect coming out. My part of step 6 is taking the responsibility for my part. By identifying my part I am better prepared to recognize the character defect before it gets me into difficulty in the future.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

:ghug2
Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this. Are more of the "Zink" daily meditations for Step Six posted someplace on the site, and if so, where can I find them?
Blessings to you!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just completed my 5th and i will be doing my 6th next week with my sponsor. Is step 6 an action or is it just a decision and a prayer?? curious...
Old 02-03-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alaina02 View Post
Is step 6 an action or is it just a decision and a prayer?? curious...
All of the above, and in my case it's never completely done.
Just like all the Steps..., a work in progress.

I have stood at the 6th Step countless times. I am entirely ready when I have become so far off base, into myself, loud, obnoxious, stubborn etc. THAT I EVEN DISGUST MYSELF. Usually by then the wife, kids and grandkids have already left the room and I'm yelling "Hey !! Where'd everybody go??!!"
Then I'm ready ....... and it works for an hour/day/week or so and slowly I sink back into my blindness again (but not quite so far or long). To me, that's the progress not perfection.

Wishing the best to all !!

Bob R.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
All of the above, and in my case it's never completely done.
Just like all the Steps..., a work in progress.

I have stood at the 6th Step countless times. I am entirely ready when I have become so far off base, into myself, loud, obnoxious, stubborn etc. THAT I EVEN DISGUST MYSELF. Usually by then the wife, kids and grandkids have already left the room and I'm yelling "Hey !! Where'd everybody go??!!"
Then I'm ready ....... and it works for an hour/day/week or so and slowly I sink back into my blindness again (but not quite so far or long). To me, that's the progress not perfection.

Wishing the best to all !!

Bob R.
Thank you.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Read the big book......In How It Works......chapter 5.....

Step 6 is an hour of reflection immediately following step 5 so that we make sure we haven't left anything out.

Set an alarm for one hour after you complete your 5th step and think hard, did you leave anything out?

After this hour, say the 7th step prayer.

Now you are on step 8. I'm usually exhausted after this (a long 5th step discussion followed by step 6; carefully thinking about whether anything at all had been left out), so step 8 is done the following week.

It's not rocket science.

My sponsor reminds me that my higher power is too much of a gentleman to take away from me anything I am holding on to.....I must be entirely willing, then I must be on the look out (step 10) daily to find my habits of behavior which require changing.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

and I just noticed this thread is a year old....
Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
and I just noticed this thread is a year old....
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! i hate it when that happens!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Read the big book......In How It Works......chapter 5.....

Step 6 is an hour of reflection immediately following step 5 so that we make sure we haven't left anything out.

Set an alarm for one hour after you complete your 5th step and think hard, did you leave anything out?

After this hour, say the 7th step prayer.

Now you are on step 8. I'm usually exhausted after this (a long 5th step discussion followed by step 6; carefully thinking about whether anything at all had been left out), so step 8 is done the following week.

It's not rocket science.

My sponsor reminds me that my higher power is too much of a gentleman to take away from me anything I am holding on to.....I must be entirely willing, then I must be on the look out (step 10) daily to find my habits of behavior which require changing.
Awesome post, SB. I don't mind that the thread is over a year old. I did that on purpose; to stimulate discussion. It worked!