Emotions snuck up on me while Christmas shopping

Old 12-11-2007, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ICU

Emotions snuck up on me while Christmas shopping

I was so proud of myself. I got about 7.5 hours of sleep last night (a record for me lately) and I set out on my early start to go Christmas shopping.

My list included some items for my Mom and Dad, and buying new beds for 3 of my four furkids. The one I didn't buy a new bed for still has a perfectly good one. Not to worry, I got her two special toys that she loves, so, she'll be happy.

Before I went to the pet dept. I decided to see if I could find a watch band for my Dad, and a toaster. My Dad needs these things to replace what is worn and broken. I didn't realize I needed to know what size watch band to get, so, I got nothing there. Then I looked at the toasters and I knew that somehow he would find fault with the one I picked out. And my Mom has alzheimers (she is just beginning to have trouble remembering who I am now), so, I'm not sure what to get her. My joyous shopping trip began to turn melancholy. I walked away empty handed. (SIGH)

I figured looking at Christmas decorations to see if I could add anything to my display that would make me smile. I came upon the aisle where all the boxes and bags were and I thought they looked so pretty. I imagined putting a special gift in each of them, but then remembered, I really have no one 'special' to give gifts to in these special bags and boxes. That's when the tears started streaming down my face. It really took me by surprise. I'm glad that I have had so much practice at implementing my 'tears shut-off valve' over the years! It came in handy today! Had I been in private though I would have let them rip!

Then I remembered that I do have someone special to give something to....'me'. I remembered a thread here about buying/making a special SR inspired ornament, so, I looked in the ornament aisle. I didn't see anything that I was looking for, but, it took me out of my momentary funk.

Finally, I went to the pet department where I found three beds, perfect for one of my dogs and for both of my cats. I found some soft fleece blankets too to put on one of the chairs that my cat....'has claimed as his own'!

I finally brought all of my purchases home and decided to celebrate Christmas early, for them. I removed my dogs old ripped up wicker basket and put his new bed down. It's real cute too. A little couch that folds out into a bed! He has one like that in the bedroom, but needed one for my office.

Well, my dog took one look at his new bed and decided to sleep on the cold hard wood floor. (SIGH)

I put the one cat's bed in my bedroom on the lower shelf of his huge cat tree scratching post. He took one look at this new bed invading his cat tree, turned his nose up at it and walked away. (SIGH)

I put the other cat bed in the living room for my other guy! He sniffed his new bed (yeah!) then turned around and went back to sleep on my couch! (SIGH)

My first cat who turned his nose up at his bed in my bedroom, sniffed the other cat's bed in the living room, and....peed on it! (Really big SIGH)

The soft fleece blankie is on the chair for the other cat. No interest what so ever. (SIGH)

And me? I heated up my home-made chili in the new 3 quart pot I bought today and made myself some sugar free chocolate mousse for dessert! Thank goodness I can always count on chocolate!!!

And the lesson learned today....sometimes the only one you can please is yourself!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ah, our furbabies always react just the way we want them to, don't they?

I'm glad you pleased yourself. {hugs}
Old 12-11-2007, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's funny!! Things like that happen to me, too. When *you* start sleeping on that bed or covering up with that blanket then you'll find yourself in a territory war with the furbabies!

I'm not sure that I would go so far as to wet on the other bed, though.....
Old 12-11-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you're not going to tell us want you ask from santa..??

yeap..start marking your territory.lol
Old 12-11-2007, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll agree with you - expect those emotions when you least expect them! They hit me today, it was my own fault, and Heather turned me around and got me going in the right direction. Thank you a million times, hbb!!

Over the weekend, I did the same as you, ICU. I bought my darling horse Wilson a brand new show halter. It's a Christmas present for US, my favorite man in my life (even if he is a horse!). It's covered with silver and gold, and when I tried it on him, he looked like a million bucks!

Better to treat ourselves well, than have someone else treating us like crap.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh boy. Your story started out with me just wanting to give you a big hug but you turned it around and made me laugh out loud! I have four fur kids too and their reactions were so........typical! (Except for my Bella.....she LOVES new stuffies and never lets me down!)

The holidays are sometimes rough but I'm glad you found humor in there. Laughter truly is good medicine.

gentle hugs to you
Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Red face

I am sure your babies will love their new beds and use them ! I celebrated my day today by taking my greyhound Extreme to the Petco and getting his nails trimmed and buying him a squeekie. That is fun for me. I always love going out with him as people always are curious to see such a dog and I can share my love for the breed. Our animals are our family and I declare better than any man I could ever have. If the dog just wouldn't sleep with his butt right by my head ever night.....oh well - glad you found chocolate too - I just ate a ho ho ! Now I am gonna slip into Harry Potter and forget about my own problems - boy I wish I was a wizard like Harry - the spells I could cast.........Sweet dreams everyone!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
full of hope

ICU, your furbabies are cracking me up...but at least you got a good lesson out of it!
Thanks for sharing!!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ICU,

We just bought our big big dog a nice cushy-schmushy bed, and guess who sleeps in it?

The cat. This tiny gray ball in the middle of a vast sea of fleece.

I feel your pain.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

OH yes I can totally relate. My cats sleep in the middle of the big darn dog beds , and the dogs let out a very big sigh and they go lay down somewhere else.

Often it's on MY bed. If we were going full circle, I guess I would sleep on top of the dryer, but I prefer my bed. Even when it's full of dogs and cats.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I prefer my bed. Even when it's full of dogs and cats.

My bed isn't my bed unless my mutt is curled up down at the foot of it warming my feet on these cold winter nights!

ICU....your post reminded me that I still need to buy the Princess a present. Thank you!

ARL
Old 12-12-2007, 12:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wonderful share, Thank you! Arn't pets just great?

Are you going to try the dirty sock in each bed to see what happens.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ICU

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
Your story started out with me just wanting to give you a big hug but you turned it around and made me laugh out loud!

The holidays are sometimes rough but I'm glad you found humor in there. Laughter truly is good medicine.
That's it in a nutshell. I could have dwelled on those melancholy feeilngs for a very long time, and that's exactly what I would have done a couple of years ago.

I'm glad I have recovery tools under my belt now. (Hmmm...perhaps that might account for the extra weight around my middle?) The tools don't fight off the feelings, they just help you through them. Humor is one of my favorites!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ICU

OH, and CatsPajamas,

I had a vision of you sleeping on top of the dryer, LOL! Thanks for my morning giggle!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

My special friend I C U!

I love that recovery has shown us how to turn on and off the valve of those tears! It is a great thing-

As for those little furry children sticking up their noses....well....they all do it! They all seem to love the old stuff! I know in the past when I bought a new bed or blanket for my furry ones I would place one of their stuffed animals on it that they always sleep with....and actually funny my one would lay on the cold floor and put her head on the stuffed toy and then slowly inch day by day onto the bed! Then finally started to lay on it!

They are funny the furry ones!

I C U Pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst

Love ya honey!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My cats would turn their noses up at them if I ever bought them cat beds. One's favorit sleeping spot alternates between the top of the kitchen cabinets and the linen closet (I am so tired of furry towels!) The others allow me to share their bed at night.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ICU

Well, here's the score as it stands now...

'Someone' peed on the new dog bed, but thankfully I had a think absorbant blankie on top of it. Grrrr....

The 'dog' loves the 'cat' bed in the living room. Grrrr....

The cat bed in the bedroom remains untouched! Grrrr....

And, my one cat loves the new blankie on 'his' reclaimed chair. At last, a victory!! Yeah!!!

And, me....I'm still lovin' my sugar-free chocolate mousse and letting go of the control.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ICU View Post
Well, here's the score as it stands now...

'Someone' peed on the new dog bed, but thankfully I had a think absorbant blankie on top of it. Grrrr....

The 'dog' loves the 'cat' bed in the living room. Grrrr....

The cat bed in the bedroom remains untouched! Grrrr....

And, my one cat loves the new blankie on 'his' reclaimed chair. At last, a victory!! Yeah!!!

And, me....I'm still lovin' my sugar-free chocolate mousse and letting go of the control.
I can feel your pain. One of my boys (dog not human) peed on the Christmas tree this morning. What the heck was he thinking!?
Old 12-12-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ah yes. He was thinking "tree" It's possible another dog had marked that tree at some point in its life....
Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

NOTE: If you get an artificial tree damp enough for long enough, it has an unpleasant odor much like cat pee.

"WHY is the tree damp?" you ask.... from the squirt bottle I keep nearby to keep all the dadgum cats OUT of said tree!

If you want a lesson in unconditional love, get a dog. If you want a lesson in powerlessness, try to get a cat to do ANYTHING.