Notices

Facing my first big challenge tonight! Help!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facing my first big challenge tonight! Help!

HI All- I'm on day 12, and so far it's been pretty easy. But, tonight I have to attend an industry Christmas party. Booze will be free and flowing. I am also going with a friend who I used to drink with a lot. I haven't told her yet that I quit. So, first thing will be to tell her right away. Then, I'll just keep reminding myself that this is work, and it's my job to be there. I'm worried I'm going to be bored out of my mind.

Any other suggestions?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Stay home .

If you MUST go... don't. Stay home .

* tell your friend. Enlist her help. Have an escape plan.

Personally I wouldn't go. I was not strong enough at that stage of recovery.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I agree with gypsy...go next year if you have managed to stay sober for a year.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't stay home. It's part of my job- I'm in the hospitality industry, and there will be many clients there. My boss would have my head if I wasn't there, especially since we already paid the registration fee.

Not going is not always an option.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't go either, unless it's absolutely essential for your job. I could not be around people drinking alcohol for quite a long time. I remember once when I went to a neighborhood party in the first month after stopping drinking. There was a point in the evening when all I could focus on was how much people were drinking and I was miserable. I didn't drink that night, but I went out the next day and bought alcohol.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Again, I have to go as part of my job. I will just plan to leave as early as possible without being rude.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Get a soda that looks like a mixed drink and nurse it...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
If you absolutely have to go........

Get your own soft drink at the bar and keep it with you. If you happen to set it down and walk away then get a fresh one. Don't let anyone offer to get a drink for you. And if someone does offer, NO is a word or you can just tell them you're allergic to alcohol. I've played it safe like this many times and actually enjoyed myself.
  # 9 (permalink)  
believer

I just wish the best on your decisions...
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mike and Astro. I had planned on a plain tonic water with lime.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Please call someone before attending this function--if you must go. Also if you have some literature that will fit in your purse--pocket size AA book or random list of prayers (whether AA related or not)>write a few down and refer to them when needed.

I went to my company party last week--and was the only one there not drinking. One of my fellow coworkers used to be my hang out drinking buddy too. It was tough, but I made it through. I carried my pocket size AA Big book with me & called my sponsor right before I walked into the party.

I did refer to my book at least on two occasions--when I excused myself and quickly read some material while in the bathroom. I did leave promptly once business/dinner was done & those that would like could stay & drink (at the expense of the boss). I decided to leave--and I am still sober today. I wish you luck--remember>You are not alone.

Also, try posting here afterward to let us know how everything went. That helped me alot--the support from SR members.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good Luck Laura, life doesn't end just because we decide to quit drinking right? So go and have a good time sober, show them the sober you is as fun if not alot more fun version than drunk you. and let us know how it goes when you get back sober.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I have a few years under my belt, but I did have to attend parties a few days after I started to get sober some time back. I found that if I got a soda water with a lime and then set about talking with everyone in the room I was distracted and engaged.

I made it a game of sorts to stay away from the bar and just have the most witty and customer oriented converstations that I could. Soon I found that I was the real me, without alcohol, and was quite amazed that all my charm wasn't poured from a whiskey bottle.

Don't linger after you have done your duty as a host. When the night starts ending and you have fulfilled your obligations excuse yourself and out the door you go.

Good Luck, you CAN do it and you will be satisfied with your efforts if you keep business in front of you and the bar to your back.

Jon
Old 12-11-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know tomorrow morning how it all went!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Prayers are with you Laura that you make it through this evening without it being too rough on you...you are very brave to attempt this with the goal to stay sober...Can't wait to hear about how well you did tomorrow. Jomey
Old 12-11-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Well, I was busy napping when you opened this thread, so I wasn't able to add my two cents.

I probably would have suggested you find some way to get out of going...a sudden attack of a flu bug, perhaps.

Anyway, if you've gone to the party, hopefully you've taken some of the suggestions given here...maybe you're safely, soberly back at home by now!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How did it go? On saturday we have our family Christmas party that we are hosting, and already it's a challenge in my mind not too justify drinking at it...let us know...
Old 12-13-2007, 09:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Here's a link to Laura's update RDKA .

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ay-i-feel.html