Please excuse me

Old 12-10-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please excuse me

I read kindeyes intro, and realized I never introduced my self.
My name is Gary hence Geees, my car is a poncho car slang for Pontiac. I sobered up a long time ago, and have always wondered about alanon. would I fit. well I think so. my whole family revolved around alcohol, 2 brothers died
while useing, one in a drunken stuper droped dead in Phoenix, heart imploded.
the other was murdered in Mpls. while drinking. Dad was a wierd drunk, happy go lucky, then violent. or violent then happy go lucky. Mom was the caretaker in the storm. trying to keep it all look normal, what a job.
I drank up and ruined my first marriage, to my high school sweet heart. she went crazy. and I ended up raiseing my 2 kids, what a twist. that is when I got into the program. 6/3/85-original dry date was 10/78. 3 years sober,3 yrs slip. Now I'm going thru a 3rd divorce, and need all of your help. I'v been to some alanon meetings, and for some reason this feels better, even though I can't spell or type. and was raised when smoke signals were in vogue. Now its cyber space. all of you make such good sense.!!! THANK YOU:sorry
Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Gary and welcome to Sober Recovery. Trust me, you're among friends. I know many people in Al Anon who are "double winners." That means they work the steps of AA to remain sober, and they work the Al Anon program to learn how to live a sober life and interact with other people.

There will be others along shortly to share their experience, strength and hope.

Again, welcome. I think you'll fit in here just fine.

Cats
Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so glad you are here with us all. You have to find the fit that is best for you. It sounds like you have sure been through a heck of a lot. Those here will gain just as much from you and your experiences as you do from theirs. I hope you find the support here you need!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey G
Nice to meet you. You've been through a lot. Families and loved ones whose lives revolve around one alcoholic are heck but when there are many...I can't even imagine. I'm sorry for the loss of your loved ones and the divorces. Lots of turmoil.

I'm new here as well but have felt welcomed and already can see that this is a very supportive group of people. Sometimes just having someone say "I understand" means the world.....we're not alone and we can survive...no....not just survive. We can thrive and actually be happy.

welcome
Old 12-11-2007, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Gary,

Welcome to the gang here....I think you definitely fit in here
I think you're doing great, realizing finally how your family's history is jerking your strings, and trying to do something about it. Recognizing it all is half the battle...some people never get that far. You can have any kind of life you want, and can be any kind of person you want; you just need to decide, and then get into the right kind of support to help you. Sounds like you're trying to do that.
Hugs,
GL
Old 12-11-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome to SR, gees, glad you're here!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to you!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.... I’m happy to meet you geees.

SR is an amazing place to help with recovery.... I know it has helped me personally very much and it is wonderful to know that you’re not alone in the struggles that addiction brings....

Al-anon was a life saver when my world came crashing down and I hit my bottom.... since then I have done alot of therapy and CoDA.... which teaches me how to have healthy relationship. Perhaps CoDA could work better for you then Al-anon???

I look forward to getting to know you, pull up a chair, grab some coffee and relax with people that can say... We really do understand.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey there Gary, and welcome to this wonderful website. I started in AA, then wound up here after I left my pill-addicted wife. Now ex-wife. The way it works for me is that AA keeps me sober, but al-anon keeps me sane. AA shows me how to make it thru life without having to hide in drugs or booze. Al-anon shows me how to enjoy life without using emotions and resentments as a substitute for drugs and booze.

I did a bit of therapy too, and it did wonders for me. There's all kinds of "tools" out there to help us live our lifes happy, joyous and free.

Welcome again

Mike
Old 12-11-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Hi Gary and welcome! SR is a GREAT place of wonderful friends and much needed information. You personally have helped me already and i want to thank YOU I appreciate your words of wisdom and i hope you find what you need here, like i said it's a great place and it's saved my life. Welcome.

:ghug
Old 12-11-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Geeeeeeeeeees!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Been sober a long time...

Hi Gary,

Glad to see you here. You do have a long recovery and the one short relapse. I quit the first time in 1974 and stayed sober a year here and there and went 14 more years before I quit in 1988.

I had a lot of trouble with depression but am doing okay with that now.

Keep coming back...read...post...or just say Hi!! :bounce

kelsh
Old 12-11-2007, 01:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been sober 14 years, but absolutely drunk off my *ss with enabling and codependency for even longer. Anyone can ride the train to the rock-bottom with either "disease"; both programs require the same commitment. At age 46, I'm preparing to divorce my 2nd (alcoholic) husband after 10 years together. It is utterly heartbreaking to go through this again, having been more "sure" the second time than I was the first. I'm fearful that my life will pass me by before I can truly recover from all my issues and be at peace with just myself, much less a partner.

This site is very helpful in between meetings, but I certainly wouldn't use it as a substitute. The "stickies" at the top of the main forum page are very worthwhile reading, and if you make a post asking for help -- you will get it, sometimes with very plain, forthright statements. This is what it takes to break through denial and recover. Welcome.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Gary,

This is a great place to learn, heal, and visit!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
full of hope

Hey Gary! Glad you're here! This really is a great place and it sounds like you are going to fit right in!!