Notices

Withdrawl with few to no side effects?

Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Withdrawl with few to no side effects?

This seems pretty weird to me. I have been a very heavy drinker for a long time, over 10 years. I had recently stopped having any real hangovers, and assumed that this was a bad thing because I was probably dangerously tolerant. However, I've been off the booze for about a week now and feel completely fine. No shaking, headaches, ANYTHING! Is this normal? Should I worry? I was planning on seeing a doctor but I actually feel totally fine. Has anyone else had this? Is it just luck?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL. I love how we worry when we feel fine...

I've had hundreds of withdrawals...some like yours, some not...too many factors really, to know...

luck of the draw ?

D
Old 12-10-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HI Stella- My experience was similar. I was a daily wine drinker- 2-4 glasses every night for many years. I am on day 11 and also have not had withdrawls. I had a headache on day 5, but have no idea if that was related. It made me wonder, for only a moment, if my drinking was "that bad", then I remembered the black out I had that lead to my abstinenece!
Old 12-10-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same thing happened to me, Stella...I am just counting it as a blessing from HP, but you may want to consider a doctor appt. just to get a check up. I was worried about damage I may have done to my body over the years of drinking, and getting the "all clear" has helped reduce the worry and inspire my recovery. So glad things are going well for you! J
Old 12-10-2007, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Gee...I don't know
but it's good to see you are feeling well...

I too think a check up is wise.
Get a base line while you are sober.

Are you planning to stay healthy and sober?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear it's going so well for you.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I thought, "Geez, what's the deal?" because I have been to the point of blackout nearly 50% of the time in the last 2 months. Yes, Carol, I do intend to remain sober. A recent trip to Ireland prompted me to take a VERY good hard look at my drinking, and I became pretty worried. I was worried before, but I guess I had pushed my body to the edge and it made me consider my mortality, y'know? I'm pretty healthy in most respects, and last summer I even had to visit the hospital for a tick bite. In order to perscribe me meds I needed, they had to check my liver function, and it came out totally fine. This might have been a bad thing at the time because it gave me (what I felt was) a green light to keep up the hard drinking. But I can't afford to screw my life up in the direction I was steering it.

I became shocked when my blackouts were followed by mornings full of energy and awakeness, which lead to more drinking because I felt okay. But one day I said enough was enough. I certainly didn't expect the reaction to my withdrawl to be... nothing.