AH in rehab!

Old 12-10-2007, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH in rehab!

After seeing first hand and learning of all the things my AH has done to support his cocaine/alcohol addiction, I thought that nothing else could surprise me. I am wrong - again! Last week my husband came to me and said he was going to check himself into rehab. He told me it was his cry for help and for the first time ever, he was tired of living the negative cycle of addiction and wanted to take steps to recovery.

I am so proud of him and want nothing more than for him to be successful, and I hope his eyes can be opened as mine have been in recent months since I have started attending NarAnon and working my own path to recovery. I am working hard on detaching, but this glimmer of hope is pulling me back in and I find myself worrying constantly whether or not this will work, whether he will come back and if the betrayal is only delayed while he is there for 30 days. I thought I was doing so good prior to him leaving! Was I just kidding myself? Is this normal? I guess nothing is "normal," but I almost feel like I just took 2 steps back!
Old 12-10-2007, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

reminder....

take it ONE day at a time...not your whole LIFE at a time.

Cancer isnt healed in a day....neither is addiciton. Count your blessings that he is getting help, and live today not tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It's normal. We are afraid to hope and afraid not to, it's just the way it is when someone we love is trying to get clean.

It's a good thing he is doing. Enjoy today and don't lose it by worrying about tomorrow. Worry won't change the outcome.

Keep working your program and find your balance again, it isn't lost it just got misplaced for a moment.

Hugs
Old 12-10-2007, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with the above. One day at a time. It is Ok to hope for the best, just be prepared for the worst. I wish your family good luck!!
Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

take it a day at a time. i hope this is his miracle & yours to but give it time...lots of time. keep working your recovery 7 let him work his. remember "hands off the addict." prayers,
Old 12-10-2007, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on him taking the steps. I know the constant wondering if this will help or hinder will be on your mind for the entire 30 days but kudos to him for finally realizing that he has a problem. As the others said, you have to take one day at a time...baby steps and make sure you take care of you!!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its Ok to hope. Hope is a good thing. Let yourself feel that. If he doesn't stay clean and your hopes are dashed - yeah, you'll feel like crap and be very sad, angry, fearful...all over again. But it won't last as long and you will remember all the tools you know much sooner, and you will always know you have the support of others. At least this has been my experience with my AD for the 3 or 4 attemps she made at treatment in the past year and a half.