Notices

Newbie Urgently Needs Help...

Old 12-10-2007, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Urgently Needs Help...

Hi everyone,

My name is Angela, I am 30 years old. Since the age of 14 I have been binge drinking. I stopped doing it so much and was really doing great...until the night before last.

I got so drunk, I drank about a 12-pack of beer and I am a petite person. Needless to say the next day I felt horrible.

The things is, I still feel sick. Yesterday I vomited every time I ate or drank, today I'm not throwing up but I feel fatigued, sore, shaky, heart feels fluttery, just really yucky.

On top of it, I have a severe health anxiety disorder and now I am scared that I have given myself hepatitis or cirroshis or some bad medical problem from drinking so much.

Should I go to the doctor? My husband says no, that would be stupid and I would embarrass myself. He says it's just a hangover.

But I wonder maybe I should go. Could I have permanently damaged my body with this binge?

I am, of course, giving up alcohol. I want to, I am so embarrassed, guilty and of course, sick. I feel awful physically and emotionally.

Anyhow, should I seek medical attention or just ride it out at home?

Thanks,
Angela
Old 12-10-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome Angela . I think a visit to your doctor would be wise. You may just be experiencing a hangover at the moment, or withdrawals... but no one here can safely diagnose that. Your doctor can. A check up is a good idea even if it just puts your mind at ease. Nothing embarrassing about that at all.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember the humiliation, remorse, shame, and physical effects that came after each of my binges, and I don't miss them.

Speak to your doctor and be honest about your alcohol intake. If you have more questions or concerns, please feel free to post them here.

I'm glad you found us
Old 12-10-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, angela. i hope you'll keep reaching out here. blessings, k
Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

A good physical check-up never hurts, especially when you're trying to detox from alcohol "cold turkey". Be honest with your doctor, and hopefully he'll know enough about alcoholism to help you through the very early recovery stages. In the meantime, we'll be here for support.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello angela i recently tried the cold turkey thing over a weekend , and it sent me running to my doctor with withdrawal symptoms, as well as a very unpleasant weekend.... IMO i would see a doctor. hope you get to feeling better
Old 12-10-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What do you think the doctor would do if I did go and tell him I am sick with a hangover for two days?

I don't think I am going to go, I really don't want to go and my husband and mom doesn't think it's necessary. I think it would cause me more stress. I am a hypochondriac and my doctor doesn't seem to like it when I come in for certain things because there have been so many times when I would go and swear there was something wrong with me and it would just be panic disorder/anxiety, him and his nurse just seemed like they were irritated with me for wasting their time. I feel nervous and like I don't have any support here at home and I would be better off just to heal at home, I just hope no permanent damage is done.

If there is something they do for you at the dr's for this then I will go, but if not I can just talk to him when I go for my physical scheduled in April. This is so unpleasant. I appreciate everyone's support. I just want to feel well again! I can't imagine ever wanting to touch another drink but if I do ever want to I will come here and post instead of drinking.

How long do you all think I will be suffering? I am taking a mild dose of Xanax for my anxiety and have been eating a little, drinking Gatorade and took a multivitamin. I am feeling much better than yesterday but still feel poorly overall.

BTW -- for those of you who have been to the doc after an alcohol binge, what did they do?

Thanks,
Angela
Old 12-10-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think what the dr would do is a blood test. No one can say how long you will feel sick and I do hope that things improve soon. Going to see your dr is really the only the way to find out.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

The Doctor is sworn to confidentiality, any doubts you may have about your health are worth checking out, it might just set your mind at rest. JMO.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I am feeling substantially better now, so I think I'm not going to go. I really want to wait until my April physical, it's a goal of mine as a hypochondriac not to run to the doc. I think I'm OK. I'm not throwing up anymore, not shaking as much, no jaundice or anything. Just a little weak and achy. And guilty, and regretful, and ashamed...I get so stupid when I binge drink. I am determined never to let it happen again. Now if I can just work through the shame...I was at a party with a few other people and I think I made a total idiot out of myself...so embarrassing. And my husband has an attitude with me (he was NOT at party with me). I deserve it. I feel like a really bad person. But coming here reading others' posts and talking to all of you does really help quite a bit.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The doctor i went to told me he was glad i saw a need for a change.. i'm finally making the right decision.. to each his own.. will pray for ya
Old 12-10-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Captain Lurker

Hang in there, keep coming back. SR has alot of great people and they all want the best for everyone it is a wonderful community of people.

I hope you the best.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Let's see now...your thread is titled, "Newbie Urgently Needs Help", and then you say,

Should I go to the doctor? My husband says no, that would be stupid and I would embarrass myself. He says it's just a hangover.
So, after all the suggestions to go to the doctor, you've decided not to. Allow me to throw in another suggestion (for what it's worth)...get to some AA meetings. There will be plenty of people there with whom you'll be able to share and identify.

Of course, if you find out the "cold turkey" method doesn't work for you, and you still don't think a doctor's visit is warranted, there's always the Emergency Room!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Captain Lurker

I must mention, maybe going to a different Doctor, it sounds like the family doctor may not be understanding and willing to help with your issues. It is very important to find a doctor that understands alcohol related problems, not all do.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
cunning. baffling. powerful.

I was going to post a link to my big long explanation about how alcoholic liver disease works since the question of hepatitis and cirrhosis came up and it is relevant. However, it looks like the whole thing got lost. Too bad about that crash, that took me a while to write.

Anyway...

The answer to this question:

"On top of it, I have a severe health anxiety disorder and now I am scared that I have given myself hepatitis or cirroshis or some bad medical problem from drinking so much. "
You probably did give yourself hepatitis.

Cirrhosis is the result of many many toxic injuries to the liver, however after a night of heavy drinking, you can definitely give yourself acute hepatitis.

The symptoms described sound about right. Luckily, the liver is regenerative so by not drinking, the liver can get to repairing itself without interruption.

~SK
Old 12-11-2007, 05:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maybe I should have called the thread newbie desperately needs hand-holding and support. That describes it better. I went to a doctor, who didn't even run bloodwork because this was one of those urgent care clinics and he said the lab had picked up the blood for the day. He was kind of amused and dismissive and told me not to worry about it but not to do it again.

So today I am trying to get in touch with my primary doctor, who is probably so tired of seeing me by now because I rush in to see him for everything. I am also seeing a counselor who maybe can refer me to a medical professional who knows how to best handle my problem.

I feel like my depression and anxiety has come crashing back (I've been on medication therapy for awhile) and I just want to fix it. I wonder if I need new meds or if this is just a side effect of the binge? I don't know...thanks everyone for listening...
Old 12-11-2007, 05:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i had the anxiety, the depression... ect...

the fix, a inside job...

had to fix my soul...

good wishes ah!

xxoo

rz
Old 12-11-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

It could be either the result of the binge or the medications not working as well. The best way to tell is to stay sober and see if your depression lifts as your recovery continues.

You can do this!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

My long term depression was situational ...
it lifted within 3 months of abstinance.

So how did I stay sober for those months?
With God's grace and Alcoholics Anonymous.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 12-11-2007, 05:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ok, well I did see my primary doc. He advised me to increase the meds a bit and avoid alcohol, of course. He said even if I had damaged my liver it will heal. He said bloodtests would probably show elevated enzymes but if I stop drinking they will go back to normal. He seems to think my biggest problem is anxiety. He assured me that I am going to be OK. I also made an appointment with a counselor. Now I am going to start a new thread wherever appropriate because I am interested in healing my body after 15 years of self-abuse from drinking and drugs. I am also reading some spiritual materials in an attempt to find out what I believe and what feels right to me.

Thanks Everyone,
Angela