Notices

My work Christmas party was tonight...

Old 12-07-2007, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My work Christmas party was tonight...

I am just over 6 weeks sober. Tonight was my work Christmas party at the VFW. I really wanted to go and try to be social. My hubby went with me and did not drink. We both had soda. The majority of people were drinking.
We made it through the dinner and presentations and then it was time to move upstairs to the bar and Karoke. People wanted us to go upstairs to party also, but I needed to leave. SO me and my husband went home. Ok, so that was the first part of the evening. I started to cry a little when we got home because I was feeling sorry for myself.

Then my husbands friend called from another bar and asked us to come out there. I NEVER attend anything with his friends because of the drinking, and I have such anxiety. So, I MADE myself go....

We get there, and they had been placing bets as to whether I would show up with my hubby or not. I almost cried again. Doesn't ANYONE know or care how hard this is? I want to be able to attend events and special functions and stay sober. Why does it have to be soooooo hard?????

I cant expect everyone to stop drinking for me, or to change their lifestyle to adjust for me. I realize that I will have to live with alcohol being around.

Anyway...I just feeling a little sorry for myself tonight and needed to vent.. Thanks for listening!!

ANgie
Old 12-07-2007, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn't go to my work christmas party because I knew the physical urge and the social pressure, from my work collegues, to drink would be overwhelming. My wife and I were in the car when I told, her that I didn't want to go and why and she smiled and said "cool, lets go out to dinner and catch a movie"....I thank God everyday for blessing me with such an understanding wife.

I know what you mean though, my friends think I will crack (I've only been sober for 12 days by the way and tonight was my first AA meeting) and they want me to go out or come over and be "the Rob" they know and it is friggin hard not to be that guy, because I've ALWAYS been that "happy, funny" drunk that everyone loves, and the pressure to be that guy is HUGE...but I can't for my sakes, for my wife's and kid's sakes I do not want to go back there, because I know it is going to lead to ruin...

So you're not alone. Being new too recovery I have a lot of social hurdles to cross and I hope that I can cross them sober, because right now I feel great and it's only been 12 days...I can't imagine how I'll feel in 12 weeks or 12 months or 12 years (by the grace of God!)...Keep it up, you're not alone!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Question

Angie, you are not alone. I survived my company Christmas party this past Wednesday. It was a little uncomfortable--but I managed to make it through--SOBER.

My problem now is that no one at work wants to be around me--I'm like a plague or something. If I would have drank, I'm sure there would be plenty to tell about me the following day. But somehow it seems as if they are talking about me more behind my back now simply for the fact that I wasn't drinking that night. Go figure! :wtf2
Old 12-07-2007, 11:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

here's something said when I was early in sobriety:

Put the palm of your hand on the end of your nose.

ok -

everything going on from the BACK of your hand .. out ...
is probably something you can do nothing about.

everything going on fron the PALM of your hand ... in ...
is what you can work to change.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

WHO caRES what other people think?
Do they pay your bills?
Hold your hand when you're scared?
Call you to see if you're okay when all know that you're not?

No.

You're doing the right thing, hon ... seeking a life.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today is much better, and I am just grateful for today!!
Old 12-08-2007, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Showing up for life today

Angie, be very, very proud that you didn't drink at your work party. It's a huge battle won, and it will make you even stronger in keeping to your determination not to drink poison. I was pleased with myself at the end of my three-hour work luncheon last Wednesday, two excrutiating hours of which were spent standing around in groups of drinkers. It was a real endurance contest to drink only Diet Coke, as my shoes were new and unfortunately felt as if they were lined with razor blades. As I thankfully drove away, I thought, "Yes, I made it!"

You made it too! No need for sadness. Rejoice that you awoke the next morning without a hangover and that you're escaping from the trap of alcohol addiction that will take your life physically and mentally. Instead, you're in the process of saving your life, and you're winning. I'm proud of you!