Notices

Is there anyone out there?

Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there anyone out there?

Hey all, I'm not getting many replies..IS there are reason or am i being too needy
Old 12-07-2007, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Caper. I see you have 7 posts since yesterday, which seems OK to me.

From what I saw in your other posts, you just stopped drinking. Is this Day 2?

In any case, you're going to be physically sick for at least a few days, if not longer. And if you're anything like me, you will be mentally, emotionally and spiritually sick until you embrace program of recovery and start practicing it everyday.

Are you looking for a sense of connection here? This forum can show you that you are not alone, and can provide you with encouragement, information, and inspiration. But, again, if you are anything like me, you will not start to get better sitting at home in front of your computer.

Based on my experience, the best thing you can do for yourself is find some women at an AA meeting and let them know you need their help. Recovery is a process that takes time and necessarily involves reaching out and accepting the help of others.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hi caper! i just read all your posts - going back to an aa meeting is a great idea. just keep an open mind and listen. and get a phone list for when you're ready to start reaching out on the phone.

sorry you felt like no one was listening. there's a lot of caring folks here, just be patient. and KEEP POSTING!

:ghug3
Old 12-07-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Whaddup, Capergirl? You've started three threads and received 15 or 16 replies, I think. Pretty good response, considering there are so many threads and we alcoholics are a "needy" group in general.

Just keep posting/reading, and not drinking...follow up with lots of AA meetings. What you don't hear at SR, you'll hear at AA.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And at 8pm tonight, I am going to an AA meeting. I'm looking forward to it. I was at one about a month ago and it was the warmest place I ever was. I dont know much about a sponsor, how to get one, or what they do. Does anyone have any advice?
Just saw this. So you're headed in the right direction!

A sponsor is someone who will introduce you to the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. A good sponsor, in my opinion, will show you how they used or "worked" the Steps in their own life to jumpstart a process of change -- change that results in developing a healthier ego, in emotional and spiritual development.

I think most of us choose our sponsors by listening to others share in a meeting. Then, when we hear someone who we think sounds good or "has what we want" or for any other reason inspires us to approach that person, we do so and say "Hi. I'm new. I heard you share and was really impressed. I'm looking for a sponsor. Can you help me?" Or something like that.

Many sponsors will want you demonstrate that you have a willingness to pursue an honest program of recovery. I was asked to attend 90 meetings in 90 days, to call my sponsor every day, to work the Steps, and to refrain from getting into a relationship for 1 year. Although I didn't like all those suggestions, I did follow them. Because I was told that opening myself up to the suggestions of others and taking a break from directing my own life were essential to recovery.

There's a lot more you'll want to know and need to learn. But first things first.

Don't drink. Go to a meeting. Get at least 3 phone numbers from women. Call them all tomorrow. Just say "Hi. Just wanted to check in with you." They will understand the need for you to call and will be glad to hear from you. If you can't bring yourself to start calling women in the program almost every day, you'll know you're in trouble and the chances of you growing in recovery may not be so great.

Don't try and do too much at once. You'll have to "let things happen". And stick to the women. If some guy wants to be your new best friend after your first meeting or two, run.

Recovery takes time, but if you want it, it's all there waiting for you.

Last edited by Zanthos; 12-07-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi capergirl,

Just posted on your other thread.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Capergirl,

What's up?

I think you've gotten a pretty good response too.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks guys, I guess I was just being needy..Its a common trait in me these days that I'm trying to change. I'm a little nervous about going but I'm looking forward to it too..
thanks alot and I will try to be more patient
Old 12-07-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Capergirl! :day4

BTW, it's the start of the weekend so SR is going to be quieter than usual too.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by capergirl770 View Post
thanks guys, I guess I was just being needy..Its a common trait in me these days that I'm trying to change. I'm a little nervous about going but I'm looking forward to it too..
thanks alot and I will try to be more patient
Hey I still get needy after 2 1/2 yeras drug free. You keep on posting and asking

Kevin
Old 12-07-2007, 02:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi capergirl

You are on the right track..
Welcome ..This is an awesome journey. I am grateful you are here with us.

keep on keepin on

Hugs
Old 12-07-2007, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi capergirl, you are doing the right thing...keep asking for help and never stop....we are all here for you

Cathy