Notices

Christmas party strategies

Old 12-07-2007, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Christmas party strategies

My strategy is to not attend any I don't have to! A friend is throwing a party on the 17th which I'm not going to. On the 11th I have to go to an industry-related party, but that's work. Alcohol will be present, so my strategy is to drink cranberry and lime, and leave as soon as I can without being rude. If I have an urge to drink I'm going to remind myself I'm working- this is part of my job.

Christmas day is going to be a challenge. My husband's family are all big drinkers, and we go over to their house for the entire day. Everyone is usually drunk by 6pm. I don't want to get into my not drinking with them, so I'm going to tell them I'm on a diet that doesn't allow alcohol. My husband is going to support me in this, and said we can leave as soon as I need to.

Any other suggestions welcomed!
Old 12-07-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sounds like you're planning well for the coming weeks. I still use similar strategies after many years sobriety.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sounds like you're planning well for the coming weeks. I still use similar strategies after many years sobriety.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
You've got some good plans in place Laura, well done!

This is my third holiday season in sobriety. I've found it just as fun to slurp down club sodas w/lime and watch my co-workers drop like flies as the evening progresses, I don't mind being the designated driver.

If you don't have it already I recommend the book "Living Sober". It's filled with plenty of suggestions for daily situations like these, and for just living a sober life.

Happy Holidays to you!
Old 12-07-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You could do what I did, work the steps with a sponsor as they are laid out in the Big Book, RECOVER from alcoholism, and not have to worry about these kind of things anymore.
That is a tremendous gift the program offers, the problem will be removed, that has been my experience. I maintain spiritual fitness and a conscious contact with God he keeps me safe and protected.

I love going to work parties or other places where people are drinking. Inevitably I will be approached by someone, they will say something to the effect of "I see you are not drinking" I tell them I am alcoholic and what that means. Most people who notice I'm not drinking and talk to me are questioning their own relationship with alcohol, it's a good way to do an informal 12 step call. Enjoy your holidays in a manner that will work for you.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rob B- AA is not for me, but I'm very glad it's working for you!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's wise to avoid all "drinking" get togethers in early sobriety.

Hey, those parties will be there next year.

One day at a time, don't worry about this type of stuff too much. DO what's best for you Laura.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

so happy to hear that your husband is supportive. stay safe. and stay sober.

hugs, k
Old 12-07-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm avoiding all of them that I can! I work in the hospitality industry, so I do have to attend the one on the 11th, and I can't miss Christmas day at the in-laws, but I plan to skip all the rest!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Laura...you're doing some good planning ahead. It's always wise to be on your guard, especially in early sobriety. As for AA...never say never...there is a wealth of knowledge and support to be gained in those rooms!

People have said I must not go where liquor is served; I must not serve it in my home; I must shun friends who drink; I must avoid movies which show drinking scenes; I must not go into bars; our friends must hide their bottles if I go to their homes; I mustn't think or be reminded about alcohol at all.
I mustn't have been listening when those "people" were citing those "musts and must-nots". After 28 years of continuous sobriety, I've pretty much found what works for me...but, it's kind of difficult in this day and age (particularly around the holidays) to avoid all contact with or mention of alcohol. I don't drink, but I don't expect the rest of the world to stop spinning around me.