hi liddy

Old 06-08-2003, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

hi liddy

another quick question, as for the mental disease, are you refering to the bipolar and ptsd? what should I do about that? and how do I know when hes in a mania?
Old 06-08-2003, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Redrose,
When my husband was first dianosed I knew nothing about the disease (Bi-Polar) so I started looking on the internet for more information. Here area couple of websites I found that gave me alot of information...

www.psychiatry24x7.com

http://www.findingstone.com/allkinds...n/bi-polar.htm

Mania comes in alot of different forms. Go and read and find what fits your husband.

Best of luck....
2many2count
Old 06-08-2003, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Redrose, yes I was refering to the mental part which is also a disease which they cannot control withour medication/ counciling or whatever is recommended. I have found I have no more control over that then I do the alcoholism which seemed to become excesive when something was going wrong inside his head and he self medicated with booze.
I am no expert on either subject I can only tell you what i have read or experienced. With bi-polar they can be high or low and one is mania which may show up in quick thought and talking, he became quite lawless and hateful. He also was obsesive compulsive so things in my house were changed around every day, not furniture but small things realigned or thrown away, then the other side is depression, he sat for months this winter, watching tv or playing a computer game for hrs. It was as though he gave up on life.
Today he works some, fishes alot and smiles and jokes, very much like the way he was before this hit him lasst spring. He takes no medication by choice. Last year because of the way he became , his wife divorsed him(but loves him still), the house is up for sale and he lives with us. Hopefuly he will be well enough to live on hi s own again. I dont know his future, but I live and am quite happy as alanon showed me a new way to live. My daughter is alcoholic (we also found that out last year) and before that time i thought we were quite normal !
sorry this is so lengthy I just wanted you to know your not alone, everyone that comes in this room has had or is having realy hurtful pain in their lives. The good news is we can find peace and contentment from our HP and the gifts from a 12 step program.
always hope
liddy