Notices

Company Christmas Party

Old 12-05-2007, 09:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Company Christmas Party

Just returned from my job Christmas party--feeling isolated & alone. I was the only one there not drinking. I feel that I would be better appreciated/accepted in the workplace if I drank like everyone else. The problem...I am an alcoholic (and that is just not possible).

Hoping tomorrow I will feel differently--after all, it was pointed out by one employee that at least there would be one sober person at work tomorrow.
Anyway, don't really want to go back to that lifestyle--it cost me too much..(loss of self respect/dignity, time with my family, not to mention hospital bills, court/legal fees, etc.)

Holding onto 50 days sobriety--depending on my Higher Power to continue to do for me--what I cannot do by myself. Also you guys are indeed a great part of my willingness to keep moving forward--one day at a time.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Angelina,

WELL DONE for hanging onto your sobriety! Those feelings of isolation will pass. It gets easier, I promise.
Enjoy waking up sober - what a gift!
Hugs
Old 12-06-2007, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Angelina,
Totally agree with Rowan, you were very strong. It`s hard, but stick with it, you did brilliantly. I`ve got the same thing to go tommorrow night, But I`m insisting on driving, so no drinking for me. But you are not alone, take cheer in the fact that your special, for the fact that you don`t drink.dshake
Old 12-06-2007, 03:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

You are a strong woman. You have a lot of good things ahead of you. Being the person that does what's right can be lonely, but you sure proved your commitment to a brighter lifestyle.

Congratulations.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Ah, yes...those infamous office Christmas parties! How well I remember...most of them...a few I'd rather not. Went to a lot before I quit drinking...never missed one, if I could help it.

The next day, those of us who could remember ragged on those who could not...taking delight in reminding them of what really outrageous things they did while under the influence! I, personally, dreaded remembering *"necking" with guys I wouldn't spit on the rest of the year...YUKK!!! (*I think you younguns call it "making out"...whatever, it's a lot of heavy kissing.) I'm embarassed to think about it, even now.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ironically, I have to attend my fiance's work Christmas party this Sat. nite. I am OK with not drinking, but it is sometimes hard for me.When I start to feel anxiety around "drinkers", I simply walk away.This will be interesting because I know my Fiance will be drinking with his buddies, and I may get resentful, but I will continue to ask God to keep me sane, and guide me to where I need to be emotionally.Some people think we make a bigger deal of this than it really is, but you dangle a freaking steak in front of a lion, and see how he reacts,OK.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Thumbs up

Thank you everyone! It sure gives me hope to know that I am not alone--SR Rocks!
Old 12-06-2007, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's sad that people are paying so much attention to what you were drinking at the party. You did great and you know why you are working hard to stay sober and that's what matters. My office Christmas party is an early afternoon party. There will be wine there, but there will be plenty of people who are not drinking because they have to go back to work or drive home.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I am SOOO grateful that my company does not have an official "Christmas" party. One of the first questions that I asked coworkers was if there was a lot of outside socializing. THERE ISN'T.

Two Christmas's ago I got a call at 2 in the am from my ex who needed to be picked up at the Police station..yup..DUI. And he never drinks. (doesn't at all now). I also remember a ton of embarrassing situations at Holiday parties for myself too..

I ain't gonna miss it this year!

You did great Angelina!

Karen
Old 12-06-2007, 07:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Angelina, you were sooo strong!!! It would have been so easy for you to pick up and you didn"t!!! BRAVO!!!

I don't know if I could have been that strong. I probably would not have even gone.
Feel proud of yourself! I bet a few people at the party respected you more for not drinking although they may not say it to you directly.

WTG Girl!!! :ghug3
Old 12-07-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'm pretty sure I skipped the first "company party" after I quit drinking on 11/15. But, I was already going to a lot of AA meetings; so, I know I went to an AA party, and they were always fun.

I worked for 27 years at a college, so Christmas Week was always a series of frat house parties, one after the other. And, the last day before our week off between Christmas and New Year's, it was an all-day affair of going from one department to another.

We also had a Christmas Party in the Student Center ballroom to which staff and faculty could bring guests. A lot of "unorthodox" carryings on among those staid, stuffed shirt types! I was secretary to one of the VP's and my best friend was secretary to the college President...she was a real cut-up, and we were always getting into little jams together (harmless stuff, but frowned on by the administrators).

At one party, I don't think either of us will forget, she decided to visit the powder room and slip out of a black panty girdle that was a bit tight. She left it on the counter, meaning to retrieve it at the end of the evening. Of course, after countless drinks, she forgot the girdle and went home without it. Apparently, one of the maintenance or cleaning people found it, and someone thought it would be great fun to "run it up the flagpole"! Imagine how mortified she was to see it the next morning...but, neither of us could ever let on who the owner was!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yay Angelina! Boy, it is soooooo hard to feel like an outsider. Feeling like I don't "belong" definitely triggers feelings of uselessness and inferiority. The thought that "Nobody likes me!" is something I have to struggle with regularly, especially when I'm comparing myself to the way "normal" people live.

However, when I'm at my best, I KNOW that I don't have to live like others do to feel OK, and that I PREFER my new way of life, which after a lot of work has brought me a sense of well-being and contentedness that I didn't think was possible.

And the longer I'm in recovery, the more I appreciate the fellowship of AA. Cause one thing's for sure: in AA, I fit.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I am going through the party stuff and it does get easier as time passes. In general I refuse most but go to the one or two I must and arrive on time eat a bit have a chat and leave within an hour with a smile and a huge sigh of relief.

Kevin
Old 12-23-2007, 07:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know how you felt. I went to my first one after quitting and you do feel out of sorts and bored. Maybe we really don't want to be around coworkers after all. Seems they were more enjoyable when we were drunk. What does that say?
It was nice waking up sober without a headache the next day. I was pretty hydrated too since I sucked down allot of water during the party to quench that desire to drink.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I made it through one family party last night, and I have to make it through one more tomorrow night--everyone drinks on my wife's side of the family. I will be thinking of all of you as my support--thank you.

Nicely done Angelina