Notices

I am an alcoholic

Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Much more charming sober

I am an alcoholic

I was 16 years old in rehab for the first time when family day rolled around and my Dad came for a visit. I had a week left before discharge and although I resisted treatment when I first arrived, I was at the point where I didn't want to leave. My father looked at me that day and said "I don't think you're an alcoholic. You just have some problems that need addressing". I drank 2 or 3 days after being released.

At 20 I gave birth to my first child and stopped drinking immediately when I found out I was pregnant. I stopped breast feeding at 6 months and was drinking again a month later. I said I wasn't an alcoholic because I was able to stop.

At 24 I was coming out of the tail end of a horribly abusive relationship and starting a new one with a man who was sober. I started counceling for substance abuse and went to a few AA meetings. I became very active in my church but couldn't stay "dry" for more than a few weeks at a time. When the relationship came to a very bitter end I gave up on treatment and eventually lost everything, including custody of my child. I was 27 when this all came to a head. 3 years, most of it a confusing blur.

At 28 I started an outpatient treatment program and met my husband. I worked hard and got custody back. I "relapsed" 3 or 4 times while in treatment eventually deciding that it was circumstances in my life that caused my drinking patterns but not a real problem with me. I became pregnant with my second child and remained sober through that pregnancy and about 4 months afterwards.

The next 6 years I would drink, black out, have horrible hangovers. Get sober a few days do it again. I got to a point of drinking everyday. I couldn't work. Some days I could barely function. I had horrible fights with my husband. And although I didn't drink in front of my kids they have known their mom to be sick an aweful lot. They have heard arguements they shouldn't have. I decided what I was drinking was too strong and switched to beer. When that didn't work I tried to limit it to the weekends. Tons of attempts to control it. No drinking at home. That didn't work. At 34 I decided I HAD to stop. My father, the one who told me I wasn't an alcoholic that first time, died of liver disease.

I joined an online support group (not this one) and made it about 9 months before I relapsed again. No AA, no treatment. Just me. I still didn't know a thing about recovery. But because I had made some progress in my life I was very proud of myself. I believed in the power of positive thinking. But I for some reason missed my old destructive self.

My relapse taught me that I wasn't an alcoholic. I drank. It was ok. I didn't drink again for a few weeks. Ok, this is great. I can control it. I only drink when we go out. Awesome! I had gone to get bloodwork done during sobriety and it all came back ok. Not only was I not an alcoholic but all my years partying didn't even hurt me. Fast forward to today. I drink less and black out. I can't control my compulsion to drink. I drink several times a week. The days I don't I am either recovering from a hangover that now has me throwing up most of the day, the day after, or I am suffering silently because I want to drink. I drank sometimes in the afternoon. I never did that before. I started drinking during the day on the weekends.

I quit drinking last week and made it 5 days. I drank, spent the next day throwing up and I'm very fearful for my health. I am back on day 2 now.

I have an appt. to get my blood work done. I may not be so lucky this time. I have an appt. to see a substance abuse councelor tomorrow. I'm gonna be completely open and honest with her. But what is so different about this time? Why would this time be any different than my other efforts?

Because this time I admit I am an alcoholic. I have prayed to God to remove the compusion to drink. I will do whatever it takes to save my life. I will embrace AA this time. I want my drinking story to end here and my life to begin.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you are doing what you need to do to get and stay sober.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Charm,

You have taken the most important step in recovery...You are no longer in denial...

Keep posting here...We are here for you...
Old 12-05-2007, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, charm. thanks for sharing your story. keep reaching out!

blessings, k
Old 12-05-2007, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Charm Welcome to SR! Glad that you found us! So glad that you are doing what you need to do for yourself that is wonderful! Thank you for sharing your story with us! Keep posting!!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by _Charm_ View Post
I was 16 years old in rehab for the first time when family day rolled around and my Dad came for a visit. I had a week left before discharge and although I resisted treatment when I first arrived, I was at the point where I didn't want to leave. My father looked at me that day and said "I don't think you're an alcoholic. You just have some problems that need addressing". I drank 2 or 3 days after being released.
My father said almost the same exact thing to me 6 years ago when my drinking became more noticeable. I was 17 and struggling, and his words were nearly identical. I think unless you are an alcoholic you can't really see through the stigma of "the alcoholic" and realize it doesn't mean you are a bum and own a dirty trenchcoat, just that you have a problem and need help. Thanks for the post, it made a lot of sense to me.

PS- I am an alcoholic and now I'm doing something about it. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
believer

I am really glad you're taking care of yourself...And beautiful name by the way, Charm.

Stay strong....!
Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome to SR Charm!!!!

You have found a great place.

Sounds like you have the start of an excellent plan. Please come here and post often, as I believe it will help with your daily plan.

Lots of good ES&H on these boards and its all free.

Please keep posting, we do care a lot!

Love and hugs,
Old 12-05-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Welcome to SR Charm, your life starts now!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Because this time I admit I am an alcoholic. I have prayed to God to remove the compusion to drink. I will do whatever it takes to save my life. I will embrace AA this time. I want my drinking story to end here and my life to begin.
Sounds like you've "taken" the first three steps of the twelve...time to move on. Onward and Upward!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 01:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Charm,
Welcome to SR

Thank you for sharing your story. Sounds alot like mine (and I'm sure lots of others)

Admitting you have a problem is the first step. I've heard this many times...but asking your HP to release you of the problem I think is the most important step!

Good Luck on your new life and please keep posting so that we may offer strength.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good plan this time....

Recovery Rocks!
Old 12-05-2007, 01:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

hey! wow great post! thanks for sharing...yes you have arrived at step 1. alot of people never make it that far and thus stay in the morbid hell that is active alcoholism. you said you are willing to go any length for sobriety...if that is true the odds of your life getting better than you could ever dream are VERY VERY HIGH. stick around, please!
Old 12-05-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Drinking Mom...

Hi Charm,

I didn't go to treatment the first time until I was 34 but I did stop drinking each time I was pregnent because I couldn't even keep water down. :bbb

I would start in again a few weeks after my babies were born. The rest of your story mimics mine.

I sobered up when my youngest daughter was eleven years old...I was 48...and have been sober since.

I wanted to be sober more than anything else in my life and with all the stops and starts I still didn't trust myself but my HP was looking over me. I went to AA every day for one solid year...the meetings were at the same time I was used to drinking so that helped.

I continued on with the AA way of living sober one day at a time and that worked for me. :ghug3

Keep coming back..read..post..just say hello!!

kelsh