a lil update

Old 12-04-2007, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

Talking a lil update

Well, it's been a while since I've told you what's been going on with Trevor and all. He's still straight. It's been a while. I honestly can't remember but, it's either a record or close to it. He's going to meetings, and he has a sponsor. He also is going to counseling, regularly. And he is on an anti-depressant, most the time. Not always, though. He won't take time off work to go to the doc's to get it. Doesn't matter, though. The doc won't treat him for his diagnosed bipolar; he has changed his meds three times, and Trevor has been bouncing off the walls! But, he's STRAIGHT!!!
It's a MIRACLE!

He's working two jobs. He's at a high end Italian restaurant. He works in the kitchen as a prep cook, and also does catering jobs with them. They like him alot. He also just started working at a grocery store. Stock boy. Both are minimum wage. But, he's doing it, and making it work, even under difficult circumstances. He has no liscence, and was riding his bike for months before his g/f got her liscense.

He's also going to school! He's at the International Institute. He's taking business skills and office management. It's a 9 month certificate course with job placement at the end. I'm shocked, really. He's never talked about this type of job at all, but, he took it cuz, it started right away and he didn't have time to back out. He was also told that he had to do a cert program before they would pay for a college program, so, this served just as well as any, lol!

Oh, and, I'm not sure if I told you all yet, but, he's going to be a daddy... Yes, I'm gonna be a grandma! LOL! I'll be honest, it took a while to get used to the idea. And there's still times...well....
The two of them didn't plan this. She already has two children. I told him, he really couldn't have made things any harder for himself if he had tried!

But, it is what it is, and a baby is on the way. She's having an ultrasound next week. So, we'll find out exactly how far along she is and more. I pray all is well. She, too, is in recovery. They are both on methadone. The baby will be born addicted to methadone and will have to stay in the hospital to detox from it at birth... :praying

Anyway, tonight was the first night of Chanukkah. I lit the candles; had a cup of matzah ball soup with kale, some chicken, some latkes with sour cream, some cranberry sauce and gave thanks for the miracles that happened so long ago and far away.
And the ones that are happening right here, right now.
My son is safe; sober and straight.
And a baby is on the way.
The circle of life is continuing.
The present really is a gift...:day4

L'Chaim!
To Life!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Happy Chanukkah- your blessings are great this season. How wonderful that you will be a grandma soon! I am glad to hear that your son is doing well.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Big smiles!

Thank you for posting you're positive story! It gives me hope.

x
Old 12-05-2007, 02:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Teach I am really happy that Trevor is heading down a good path. He's doing well to keep all that on his plate, but on the other hand he won't have time to get into trouble

I'm happy for him and even happier for you....Grandma Teach...it has a special ring to it.

Big Hugs
Old 12-05-2007, 02:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

Tabitha,
Hope.
That's why I wanted to post the update. To show a bit of hope, especially during this holiday season.

For those who don't know, Trevor started using drugs at 14 years old. He was lost to us for years. He went down hard and fast. Ended up homeless and did everything homeless do to survive. He OD'd more than once; was dead once and revived by the EMT's. He went to jail; to mental hospitals and rehabs over and over. I dispaired over and over and was ready to die myself before I found my own program of recovery. And I learned to let go and let G*D. Because, I didn't cause it; I couldn't control it; and I couldn't cure it. But, I *could* learn to cope with it! And I did. With the 12 steps and the help of many friends here and face to face.

I still struggle, as does Trevor. We always will, I suspect. But, then again, no one ever told me life would be easy...And when I do struggle, I remember one thing...
HANDS OFF THE ADDICT!!!
(I can't find the dang smilie! )

Ann, you're right...he won't have time to get into trouble, lol! That's a good thing!

Shalom!
Old 12-05-2007, 02:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It's there, and a good reminder

Your recovery through all of this has been awesome, Teach, an inspiration to those of us who struggle with what is, and learn that "what will be" is out of our hands and in the care of their Higher Power.

:codiepolice
Old 12-05-2007, 03:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Still learning...and seeking!

Teach,

Now you have me all teared-up....so all I can say is that I am so happy for Trevor (and you)!

Your "story" illustrates that....the addict has to WANT to get better!

God bless our addicts!
Lena
Old 12-05-2007, 04:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Teach, I'm so happy all is well. I will keep Trever in my prayers he continues on this wonderful path.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Teach -

Thanks for the inspring update!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-05-2007, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations to all!

a new baby is such a miracle...
many blessings to you and your recovering son

your post is a message of hope and also a reminder (that I sometimes need) that even after recovery there are both struggles and celebrations....

life as life should be

Happy Holiday
Old 12-05-2007, 04:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the hope shot this morning.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Teach, thank you for the words of hope. They have helped me this morning.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Teach,

This was a great post to start my morning! It's been a rough journey for Trever and for you... and it's so wonderful to hear that both of you are in a good place today.

Give thanks... and Happy Hannukkah my friend.

Cats
Old 12-05-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Teach,
Happy Chanukkah to you.
I had an episode this Summer of almost being a grandmom, and I understand the mixed emotions.
I'm sure this is a sign of good things to come. A new baby, and you the grandmom, a good combination..

Not knowing Trevor personally, just from what you have written over time, I can bet he's going to make a wonderful father...

Congratulations,
Old 12-05-2007, 06:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy Chanukkah Teach and thanks for the update on Trevor, good news is so great.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
On a tear

Ah Teach - yours was one of the first stories I could identify with here at SR... I've been praying for Trevor for a very long time.

What a miracle, eh? Two of them, in fact. Clean and sober... and a new little one on the way.

I know the unexpected, unplanned, not well thought out, what the hell are they DOING baby that arrived in our lives last year has been a miracle. Bigger than any of the other miracles. He is magic.

Your family remains in my prayers.

((((BigHUGS)))))
Old 12-05-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Teach, I too was greeted by you when I first arrived. I have thought of Trevor many times along the way, with the both of you in my prayers.
I am SO glad things are looking up for he AND you.
And the baby part?
I have to agree with Bigsis...those little monkeys are MAGIC.
My unexpected, what were you thinking, life will never be the same granddaughter lights up my life.
My daughter thinks she's hers, but I really believe my HP gave her to ME! Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Happy Chanukkah Teach
(((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 12-05-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Awesome, I love it when a plan comes together. Your story inspires hope in the rest of us. Prayers for you and Trevor.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
cmc

Teach!
Thanks for sharing your blessings and your struggles too. I'm so happy for you with all this wonderful news.

Happy Chanukkah, Buba!!!

Old 12-05-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Grandma Teach, that has a nice ring to it Glad that Trevor is doing so well. It gives me hope that maybe someday Megan will find her path to recovery too. It also helps to show that even the most discouraging cases of addiction can and do get better. Hugs, Marle