Step back and let nature take its course

Old 12-04-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

Step back and let nature take its course

The cocoon and the butterfly

Once a little girl was playing outdoors and found a fascinating caterpillar. She carefully picked it up and took it home to show her mother. She asked her mother if she could keep it, and her mother said she could if she would take good care of it.

The little girle got a large jar from her mother and put plants to eat, and a stick to climb on, in the jar. Every day she watched the caterpillar and brought it new plants to eat.

One day the caterpillar climbed up the stick and started acting strangely. The girl worriedly called her mother who came and understood that the caterpillar was creating a cocoon. The mother explained to the girl how the caterpillar was going to go through a metamorphosis and become a butterfly.

The little girl was thrilled to hear about the changes her caterpillar would go through. She watched every day, waiting for the butterfly to emerge. One day it happened, a small hole appeared in the cocoon and the butterfly started to struggle to come out.

At first the girl was excited, but soon she became concerned. The butterfly was struggling so hard to get out! It looked like it couldn't break free! It looked desperate! It looked like it was making no progress!
The girl was so concerned she decided to help. She took sissors and she snipped the cocoon to make the hole bigger and the butterfly quickly emerged!

As the butterfly came out the girl was surprised to see it had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings. She continued to watch the butterfly expecting that, at any moment, the wings would dry out, enlarge and expand to support the swollen body. She knew that in time the body would shrink and the butterfly's wings would expand.

But neither happened!

The butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings.

It never was able to fly!

The butterfly was SUPPOSED to struggle. In fact, the butterfly's struggle to push its way through the tiny opening of the cocoon pushes the fluid out of its body and into its wings. Without the struggle, the butterfly would never, ever fly.

The girl's good intentions hurt the butterfly.

Keep in mind that struggling is an important part of any growth experience. In fact, it is the struggle that causes you to develop your ability to fly.

Please think of this story and resist the next time you have the urge to enable the addict in your life ... Enabling only hurts the addict and can even leave them crippled for life.

It is in letting the addict struggle on his/her own that they grow and change and are molded and fashioned to emerge with not only the ability to fly, but to soar.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Nyte (I really miss the thank-button)

This has always been one of my favorites. Probably because my mom loved butterflies. She died 16 years ago, but every time I see a butterfly I think of her AND how a butterfly has to struggle to become so beautiful.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great, again!
susan
Old 12-04-2007, 10:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Nyte,

When will we get out Thanks Button back? I love this story, and so true. It really does apply to the addicts in our lives.

Hugs..........Lo
Old 12-04-2007, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Consider the thanks button hit again. Priceless story.