Notices

Off opiates 5 weeks EXTREMELY DEPRESSED HELP!!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Off opiates 5 weeks EXTREMELY DEPRESSED HELP!!

Because I found myself suddenly and unexpectedly pregnant, I came off a 150+ mg hydrocodone habit a day and a pack of smokes a day cold turkey. It was hell for a week and then a burst of light. I felt so great like I could take on the world. Then this depression hit. Its new and I can't fight it. My doc has me on 20mg of Lexapro. When I came off the pills I threw out the lexapro a week later. Bad idea. Brain zaps, delerium, you name it. Scary stuff. So I went back on.

Tomorrow my therapist is having me talk to my doc about increasing the Lexapro and possibly adding something to it.

As I got to reading on here it sounds like many of you are against the medication. But I just don't know what to do. When I get in to a dark mood I literally curl up in a ball and stay that way. I can cry for hours and just feel lost. It is horrible and i've never felt it before. And I must must work. It is so hard now just to go.

I know you can not give me a medical opinion but if anyone has some useful advice or a simliar experience PLEASE share with me. I am scared and want to be me again. :praying
Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Listen to your doctor + therapist and take their advice. there are many stories here from those who benefit greatly from meds for depression.
The confusion is that there are so many different meds for depression.
Sometimes we can just keep it simple by following directions.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Hello, First off congrats on ur pregnancy. About the med. thing, most of us on this forum are on antidepressants. From what I have read alot of people who have quit alcohol and or drugs go into a depression. Often, they have turned to drugs or alcohol to self medicate in the first place. I know I did. I would be very honest with your Dr. and let them know that u are still depressed. It does take a bit for them to kick in but they can up your lexapro or change to something different. As a nurse I know that AD are safe during pregnancy. Are u attending any recovery program for your drug abuse? If not NA or any open AA program would welcome u with open arms. Take care of yourself and that little baby. With Love, Kerry