New At This...

Old 11-26-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New At This...

Hey everyone..

I'm new at this.. I'm here on this website as a support for my amazing girlfriend. She is really the most amazing person I have ever been blessed to know and love, and I want to understand this disease and be there for her in any and every way possible... So I'm here for her, and I guess myself too, to understand and see different perspectives about alcoholism...

Anyways, I figured I'd put up my first post so here it is... Night everyone
Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are sweet to be here. Your message was very loving and love that like that bring about much change under the right circumstances.

Tell us more about your girlfriend. Does she admit she has a drinking problem? Does she want help? How long has she been drinking and how often?

Read, read, read as many threads as you can. The stickies are incredibly helpful too as far as insight. The people on this website are amazing. They have touched my life more than any friend that I can see or any family member. They will help you and they can help her too if she's willing to read, accept and is willing to recover. Even if she's not willing, as some aren't, something in these threads will touch her life forever and it may not effect her today, but maybe tomorrow or next week or next month.

Come back - I'll be watching for you and welcome, welcome, welcome!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tell you more about my girlfriend? I honestly don't know where to begin. It's been quite a journey for the two of us, and the long-distance relationship sucks, but we're great - SHE'S great.

Its hard for me to understand what she is going through, because I have never been in her shoes. Alcoholism is in my family, though, and I have a close cousin who has been through rehab and AA time and time again, relapse after relapse. However, she is about four months sober now, and doing great.

Back to my girlfriend - she is honestly incredible. Yes, she wants help. She told me she wants to start going to AA meetings again, and I started crying when she told me. I am so proud of her, and so proud of who she is. She can get pretty down on herself, but every time, she gets back up, and brushes herself off, and we keep going, together. I don't care if she makes a million more mistakes - we fix them together.

I'm excited about this website.. I really want to know more about what the disease, how to support someone better, etc...

Thanks for your response