Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Is alcohol to blame? Or has he simply lost interest? Has he relapsed?

Is alcohol to blame? Or has he simply lost interest? Has he relapsed?

Old 11-26-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Clueless, I could tell you of a few nights when I couldnt get ahold of my xagf by phone. And she lived too far away to just hop in a car and drive over, not that it would matter because if she wasnt answering the phone, she wasnt about to answer her door either. Usual story a couple days later when she popped up would always be she went to sleep early, "unplugged her phone" (who does that, really?), and got a "good nights rest".

Yeah, okay.

And call me old fashioned and sentimental, but might I also point out that your AA/NA has gone missing during Thanksgiving?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. You will find lots of good folks in here.

Originally Posted by cluessgfofaana View Post
they will feel trapped and start drinking again. Is this true? Or did my not calling him make him feel unloved and prompt him to drink more?
Nothing you do or don't do will prompt him to drink again. If he uses again, it will be because he chooses to do so. Do not let him or anyone else tell you or imply you control his behaviors and choices.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tollbooth View Post
"unplugged her phone" (who does that, really

That would be me now and then.

Seriously, if I don't want to be bothered by phone calls, I turn off the ringers.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

read what I just wrote on this post. WHY would you want to be with someone who is treating you with disrespect? WHY? Truly think about it. Addicts are known for taking care of their needs first and foremost. He can TELL you whatever, but his ACTIONS are what will tell you the truth. Trust his actions, not his words.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-possable.html
Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to agree, clueless. (you DO have a clue though! )
I know that quite a lot of us have learned a great deal about ourselves through the book "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie. I was among the millions who, when she read the book, though the book had been written about ME. I worried about 'him' even when he told me not to. I suffered whenever he was out of contact for a time, convinced something was wrong -- with him? with me? Life was out of control because I had wrapped my life around his, and anything he did affected me...even though I couldn't control what he did!!

Step away from him for a time, if you can. That has been the first empowering step for many of us who were dealing with a disrespectful relationship.

Consider why you continue to attach yourself so tightly to someone who dishonors you.

Consider the possibility that you can take a deep breath, let him do whatever he's going to do, and get on with building your own happiness.

Hugs and strength to you

GL
Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh, this is so familiar, givelove-his actions CONTROLLED my world. I was obsessed (still am to some extent) to what he was/is thinking. This is quite possibly the most damaging thing and the hardest to get over. I imagine once you do, there will never be a freer (sp) feeling!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OH, and by the way, Clueless, Givelove is right-you DO have a clue-otherwise you wouldn't be feeling uneasy about things. Go with your intuition...always....its telling you something.