Notices

How do you get rid of this feeling?

Old 11-26-2007, 03:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Thumbs down How do you get rid of this feeling?

Ok, I'm on day three of my detox. I've only taken Naltrexone (for cravings) and Ativan (to prevent siezures, DT's and anxiety). I'm eating healthy, eating chocolate, etc.

My main "issue" at the moment seems to be that stuporish, dazed, brain-fog, bored-out-of-my-mind feeling, etc that comes with detoxing off of alcohol. What can I eat/drink/take/do for this?. I feel very sleepy, lots of mailaise and zero motivation to do anything and I need some sort of pick-me-up to perk me up so I don't drink up.

Any ideas are welcome please...

Need4Change
Old 11-26-2007, 04:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

You're gonna have to give your body time to heal, hon.

Didn't I just read on another thread you recently went back out or something like that? All that poison ... has to get out of the body and healing actual healing has to occur. There's no rushing that.

For my part - I wanted to remember every shaking sick uncomfortable moment I possiblyould ... because I KNEW .... it would ultimately ... kepp me sober to remember how miserable I was.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Barb's right and it also could have to do with the ativan that you're taking. Ativan is a tranquilizer and those things sound like what it might do to your body.

Hang in there and it will get better.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you're still detoxing.
Hang in there or Hangon2yourass.lol
Sleep is good..your body and brain needs the healing.

I wish I could had laid in bed the last time i detox.lol
i hop into bed as soon as i got home from work thou.
But no...people had to come drag my ass to a meeting.
Then I'll drink some narley AA coffee and have the insamity.lol

I remember what i did in my early, early recovery thou.
I use to hop into the shower 3-4 times a day to wake my butt up.
So i take a shower after i got home, go for me excersize walk,
go to pick people up and take then to a meeting, and drop people
off. By the time i get home it's 9 PM. I'll either go sit under my tree
and just relax or eat dinner. Read my recovery books, write in my journal.
Then i started struming my guitar. Then do my little shores.
Take another shower, then go bed.lol
My days were pretty much full.

I basicailly started cleaning my house, washed my car, paid my bills,
go shoping for food or new clothe, or books and music..
It took me a month to get to that piont.

Then i started playing my guitar more, then I started buidling
R/C contraptions and go flying on weekends. I've met alot of
friends that enjoy that hobbie...
Can't fly a $500.00 contraption drunk ya know.
it's a hobbies that drinking is prohibited on the flight line due to safety.
Plus if you're building it..can't be drunk either. measure twices cut once.lol
Everything pretty much has to be perfect or to standard.lol

The the next thing i knew..i had crazy women
chasing after me , becuase i was enjoying being single again.lol

I didn't take myself too seriousely especailly in the first month.
You know...those darn emotional roller costers.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Need 4 - one thing that has helped a LOT during my recovery are my horses. I work on a farm with 52 horses, 7 dogs, a bunch of cats, two donkeys, and a mule! I have taken extra special time with the horses. I love everything about them - and sometimes, corny but true, I just take 5 extra minutes as I feed them, etc. to hug on 'em and pet them and for some reason, it makes me feel 100% better. I know you've said you have animals, so go spend some time with 'em. Even if it is literally just resting next to a dog or cat that you can pet. You may get up with fleas, but it beats drinkin!!!!!:mock Keep us posted, please, and stay strong! J
Old 11-26-2007, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, now that you mention it, I DO have a very large pet goat named "Daisy". I wonder if she would like a "stable mate" for the day...lol

Need4Change

Originally Posted by Jomey View Post
Hey Need 4 - one thing that has helped a LOT during my recovery are my horses. I work on a farm with 52 horses, 7 dogs, a bunch of cats, two donkeys, and a mule! I have taken extra special time with the horses. I love everything about them - and sometimes, corny but true, I just take 5 extra minutes as I feed them, etc. to hug on 'em and pet them and for some reason, it makes me feel 100% better. I know you've said you have animals, so go spend some time with 'em. Even if it is literally just resting next to a dog or cat that you can pet. You may get up with fleas, but it beats drinkin!!!!!:mock Keep us posted, please, and stay strong! J
Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it takes a lot of time for your body to heal, I went thru detox about 4 months ago and i am just now feeling better except dont do what i did last night my husband talked me into drinking and i have the worst hangover - good reminder of why i quit in the first place
Old 11-26-2007, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Naltrexone + withdrawal = major nausia...weak stomach...tons of mailaise...I wish I were under heavy anesthesia during this time and when I woke up the booboo would be all better just like when mommy kissed it and made it all go away when I was a little child.

I've had a couple of maybe 30-60 second "impulses" where I thought "oh screw this, let's have a nice, cold, frosty one!" but then the impulse would leave just as quickly as it came. I hope I can hold out...starting to sweat...starting to crave a little bit...oohhhhh...this is not good

Need4Change
Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

go buy yourself some flowers............I sware I did this...talk to em, feed em water em......it helpped me worry about something else............my mom got involved when I started making huggies or cozys for the flower pots though.........lol
Old 11-26-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

N4C for me the fog remained well after I detoxed, it started to lift after about the third day, but was still there for well over a month. Everyone is different, but this takes time, one can not expect years of abuse on both body & brain to reverse itself in a few days, weeks, or months.

The detox meds will dope you up, especially the ones that keep the spiders away!

Please be patient, give this time, it slowly gets better every day for a much longer time then you would think

At 3 months sober I thought "Man I can not get any better mentally!" Yet every month for over a year so far my thought processes have improved! I had no idea how messed up I was mentally by the booze until I finally quit! My idea of "Normal" was way below what normal really is!

Take this one day at a time, trust me it is well worth it. My wife asked me a month ago if I would start drinking again if I found out I only had 2-3 months to live and I honestly answered her "No, I like being sober to much."

It takes up to or over a year for the chemicals in our brains to return to normal after we quit drinking...... I thought that was a bunch of Hooey, but it is not.

The way I filled a great deal of my time in early sobriety was in meetings, nothing better then being with folks who have been right where you are at letting you know what to expect and that what you are feeling or thinking is just how they were to, and better yet them sharing with you how they stayed sober through it.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Need4Change View Post
Ok, I'm on day three of my detox. I've only taken Naltrexone (for cravings) and Ativan (to prevent siezures, DT's and anxiety). I'm eating healthy, eating chocolate, etc.
Hi Need4Change:

Hang in there buddy. Hey, since when have chocolate candy bars become a health food? I know candy bars are the least of your worries right now so enough about that.

My main "issue" at the moment seems to be that stuporish, dazed, brain-fog, bored-out-of-my-mind feeling, etc that comes with detoxing off of alcohol. What can I eat/drink/take/do for this?. I feel very sleepy, lots of mailaise and zero motivation to do anything and I need some sort of pick-me-up to perk me up so I don't drink up.
Take a look at your brain on alcohol Need4. See how it looks like swiss cheese. Now compare it with the scan of a normal healthy brain. It's going to take a while to heal a lot of the damage you have done, but there is hope for you as the scan of an ex-alcoholic shows.http://amenclinics.com/bp/atlas/ch15.php

Well, now that you mention it, I DO have a very large pet goat named "Daisy". I wonder if she would like a "stable mate" for the day...lol
Holy Cow! You have been drinking way too much for way too long. She is looking for a stable mate, not somebody who is unstable (little play on words).

Peace.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Need4- Just got back from the barn...it's pouring down rain, freezing cold, and I had a great time anyway!! I say go hang out with Daisy for a while - you'll be the better for it - even if it's just a quick walk out of the house and a few minutes of taking your mind off things. Daisy will welcome a stable mate for a while, I'm sure - unstable or otherwise!!! I know all my horses do! Stay strong, J