Old 11-26-2007, 02:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - November 26

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Letting Go of Self-Criticism

Look how far we've come!

It's good to focus on the task ahead, on what remains to be done. It's important to stop and feel pleased about what we've accomplished too.

Yes, it may seem that the change has been slow. At times, change is grueling. Yes, we've taken steps backward. But we're right where we're supposed to be. We're right where we need to be.

And we have come so far.

Sometimes by leaps, sometimes with tiny steps, sometimes kicking and screaming all the while, sometimes with sleeves rolled up and white knuckles, we've learned. Grown. Changed.

Look how far we've come.

Today, I will appreciate my progress. I will let myself feel good about what has been accomplished.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Sometimes by leaps, sometimes with tiny steps, sometimes kicking and screaming all the while, sometimes with sleeves rolled up and white knuckles, we've learned. Grown. Changed.
Oh boy, that has been me in my recovery. Some days it all came easy and just made sense; other days I just had to trust what those who went before me told me and hang on for the ride of my life.

But I grew. I don't know when some of my recovery happened. It seemed such a slow process, yet one day I realized that I no longer live in fear 24 hours a day. Another day I realized that it had been quite some time since my last anxiety attack or night terror. I began to notice sunrises and birds and the smell of spring.

One day at a time, I was healing and growing, and today I am so very grateful that my heart is in a good place and all is well.

For those just beginning this journey, I promise you that as awkward and strange as it may feel at first, it is a wonderful passage from there to here and a process by which we keep growing every day.

Is recovery worth the work I had to do? You betcha. And I'm still working every day because I haven't stopped learning and am loving the journey.

Hugs
Old 11-26-2007, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"Is recovery worth the work I had to do? You betcha. And I'm still working every day because I haven't stopped learning and am loving the journey"

Amen!