Notices

New to Recovery

Old 11-25-2007, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Recovery

I have two weeks sober and am glad that I have taken this step. I know that I can not have a drink of alcohol without seriously negative consequences. My recovery is complicated by the fact that my husband and partner of 8 years has left and says he doesn't love me anymore. He says that the only connection that he wants to have to me is a result of the fact that we have a son together. He doesn't believe that alcoholism is a disease. I guess he thinks that it is a character flaw. He took his last drink a little over 2 years ago at the same time that I made my first attempt at recovery. He has been able to remain sober without any support (no AA or other help). I know that I have to do a lot of work personally and admit that I am not always the easiest person to live with. I have an otherwise very supportive family that understands that alcoholism is a disease, unfortunately there is a lot of alcoholism on both sides of my family. They don't agree with everything that I have done, but they are willing to stand by me as I fight to get better. Has anyone had some similar experiences?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Welcome amc32, I am glad you are here. I know it is difficult to get and stay sober (It took me more tries than I care to admit) two weeks is a great start, you are probably feeling better physically by now, please keep us updated of your progress and let us know how we can help.

Cathy...Alcoholic
Old 11-25-2007, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi amc,

It often takes a lot of trying before we can stop for good. I am sorry that your husband has left and that must be hard. The thing you need to try to remember is that everything happens for a reason. However things turn out, you will be okay. It's hard for people to understand addiction and that's the reason that I keep coming here. I didn't talk to anyone about stopping drinking, except my husband. I had no inclination to talk to my family members. It was something I knew I had to do on my own. If your family supports you, that's great, but if not, keep moving forward anyways.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your words of encouragement. When I was drinking I felt so alone. It is amazing to find that I am not. I used alcohol to deal with problems only to cause more in the end. The problem with my drinking was that I wasn't an everyday drinker or an every week drinker or even an every month drinker, but when I drank I drank to oblivion. It was easy to tell myself that I could handle it. What a joke! Even just a couple of weeks out, I know I have a lot going for me and I know I will make it in the end.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Welcome!

Your story sounds a lot like mine. When I finally quit drinking, I had also lost my partner. It was heartbreaking and horrible.

I had to let all that go, and concentrate on not picking up that first drink. I had to do it for me. Yes, my partner leaving was one of the reasons that I quit, but it certainly wasn't the only one. If I wanted to have a life with love in it, I had to be a lovable person. And I wasn't while I was drinking.

The good news? I'm nine months sober and I have my partner with me.

Hang in there..

Karen
Old 11-25-2007, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Smile

Welcome--Glad you are here! Congrats on 2 weeks!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi....
Welcome to SR!
Old 11-25-2007, 10:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi amc - and welcome to SR!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi amc. I am an alcoholic - my name is Steph. It's good to meet you. I stopped drinking for good and all nearly 4 months ago. I am starting to like myself more and other people are starting to like me more too.

Being able to live happily with ourselves is a real blessing I think.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

ps-

there in a huge difference between not drinking .. and sobriety.

the way you describe your ... ex? ... is not drinking.
describing yourself in recovery ... means you seek sobriety.

good for you!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community, amc. I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your encouraging words. I am really glad that I came across this website. Right now I am trying to go to meetings as often as possible, but I am in school, I work full time and I have my son. It is sometimes not feasible to get to a meeting. This community offers me a way to get online and share some of whats going on if I can't get out to a meeting. Right now I am going to concentrate on getting myself back on track and maybe other things will fall into place.
Your friend in sobriety, Amanda.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hi amc - glad you found our little community. you will find a lot of love and support here. i am thetype of drinker you described. i didn't have to do it everyday but when i did it was almost like each time i drank i was drinking to the death....which once that dawned on me scared the crap out of me!! but coming here and sharing my thoughts and realizing i am not a lone helped me immensely and i am just about at 2 months sober and staying on track!! i wish you the best and i will keep you in my thoughts