Notices

30+ Days--Trouble sleeping/Paraniod thinking

Old 11-24-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Question 30+ Days--Trouble sleeping/Paraniod thinking

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if it is "normal" to have trouble going to sleep at night (I am currently unable to get to sleep until after 1 am--usually around 2:30 am on average for the past few nights). I have been sober for about 37-38 days now and have not any problems sleeping until now.

Also, each morning I have awoken to feeling jumpy/paranoid (almost like I am going to have a panic attack) but I am able to calm myself down before that happens.

"Outside issues" were used off & on (very briefly) along with drinking during this past year--not sure if this is what is causing my freak-out upon awakening episodes or not.

Just curious if anyone out has a similar story. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2007, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 38 days! Woohoo!

I'm having trouble sleeping, too.

Taking the dog for a nice long walk, then taking a hot shower seems to help me a lot.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your clean time. Itsvery normal to be unable to sleep. Im actually suprised it took so long for the insomnia to set in.

You'll see that the sleeping gets better with time.

Im also having problems with anxiety and paranoia. i always feel like there is impending doom on the horizon.

I dont know how long that lasts, but Im hoping it doesnt last to long.

How do you talk yourself out of the anxiety? The anxiety factor is a real hump for me and always threatens my sobriety.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took some classes on anxiety. I found out that I was making mine worse. A person can cause their own panic attack.

Most panic attacks only last 5 minuets. When you start feeling that way you need to change your thoughts and do something. Anxiety is fear.

I went to this group because my anxiety was part of the reason I drank. And it can be managed with out drugs. This group was at the mental health so I trusted them. With in weeks my anxiety was going away. A person can talk themselves into one so you can talk yourself out of one.

If you can try to relax and relise that it will be over in a few minuets. Try to stay away from thoughts that cause anxiety. And that is usally fear of something going to happen.

When I quit drinking I needed to deal with some of the triggers that I would drink over. It will be 7 years next month that I have not drank. And I some times get a little anxiety but I know what it is now and it never last long.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone....

Check out this link for sleeping problems

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

To keep myself calm....I pray.
Especially beneficial for me..is that .
I pray before sleep and as soon as I wake.
Works quite well for me...:
Old 11-24-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of good advice here Angelina. Hopefully your sleeping will improve as time goes by.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Question

Originally Posted by Change4life View Post
Im also having problems with anxiety and paranoia. i always feel like there is impending doom on the horizon.

How do you talk yourself out of the anxiety? The anxiety factor is a real hump for me and always threatens my sobriety.
The only thing I can think of (at that exact moment) is prayer. So far, it has worked for the past few mornings. I also still have "hand-trembling" syndrome that comes and goes--usually at its worst first thing in the morning and at night when I am trying to sleep.

I cannot talk myself out of anything--I become more delusional when I think I have a solution to my present symptoms. All I feel I can do is pray--I soon feel an overwhelming sense of inner peace that calms me down, but it does take only a few minutes (which at the time seems like an eternity) to calm myself down.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1963comet View Post
A person can cause their own panic attack.

A person can talk themselves into one so you can talk yourself out of one.

When I quit drinking I needed to deal with some of the triggers that I would drink over. And I some times get a little anxiety but I know what it is now and it never last long.
But can it happen every day like clockwork for awhile when it first starts to happen? I understand that I am in no real danger--even though at the moment I feel like I want to escape(from what exactly--I have no idea)--but it scares me each time--even though I may have gone through it the day before--it still freaks me out each time.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Red face

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Hi Everyone....

Check out this link for sleeping problems

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

To keep myself calm....I pray.
Especially beneficial for me..is that .
I pray before sleep and as soon as I wake.
Works quite well for me...:
Thank you for the helpful link. I plan to try insomnia tip #41
just for kicks
It sounds crazy enough--I have to give it a try>at least once. I love animals.