ThanksGiving day Walk and I am FURIOUS

Old 11-22-2007, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

ThanksGiving day Walk and I am FURIOUS

As you all probably know I live in a rural area. the walk "around the block" here is 5 miles long! Part of the walk pasts throught a State Reforestation/recreation area (unimproved). I am surrounded by hills and live at the foot of the Catskill Range.

So, today, before the making of food and travel to my sister's to spend this day being grateful, thankful and with my family, I decided to take a walk "around the block' with my dog.

I am heading down the back road past a couple of nice homes and a new log cabin style home under construction. There is a car parked in front of the (cabled) drive at the new place being built. As I walk along another car shows up and then a third..

I walk towards them thinking that the contractor might be meeting there with the future owner of the house... but no...

The people getting out of the cars are seriously NOT contractors or owners. I know this from their attire and demeaner (baggie cargo pants, hoodies and sullen attitude.. no 'good morning' etc as is customary around here). As I approach they act some nervous and move to the opposite side of the car.

These PUNKS.. these USELESS bags of DOG MANURE are doing a DRUG DEAL.. right freaking there.. in front of me. As I pass they look up at me with muderous stares.. Hey.. this is the COUNTRY.. and this is MY NEIGHBORHOOD..

I give 'em the same look BACK and let my dog get a good gander at them and they quickly look away.. I see the money change hands.. the baggies change hands.. all of it..

Of course I am watching out of the side of my eye.. the only direct look was to return their murderous stare.. MY PLACE, Da**it..

If I had a cell phone I would have called their plates in. The State police are only a little way down the road. When they are done they drive by me.. like a line of traffic (smart dealers would have gone different directions).

I am so angry. Thanksgiving and this scum is there doing their deal. It was a meet and it was near my house. This is a violation of MY SPACE.

.. and from now on when I walk I bring a pad, paper and a cell phone because they may do their drug deals, but not here, not now and not in my backyard. Not if I can help it. SCUMBAGS!!!!
..and my German Shepherd is going to learn how to go for people on command.. (something I never wanted to have to teach a dog, EVER).

This is a real rural area. My Pump action 12 ga doesn't ask questions...
Old 11-22-2007, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would be pis**d if they did that in my area. I was Pis**d when someone was making meth in the condo near mine. It is always a good idea to have a cell phone with you when you take a walk around the block, just in case you need help.
Hope your rest of the day went well.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That sucks !!!!!!!!! I would for sure bring a cell and a pen !

I used to think my area was ok . Just two days ago I saw a man and woman in the middle of the day sitting in the doorway of a store smoking crack !!! Where are all the cops ?? eating donuts LOL
Old 11-22-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

The reason I don't bring the cell phone is it has no signal where I live. I mean it when I say this is rural. However, it might have had a signal there or elsewhere on the walk.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

there again you have no control. i can understand why you are so upset but that is why they say drugs are everywhere. you can call it in but it does not mean that the law will even respond. i use to think my neighborhood was nice untill my grandson moved in with us.we have always stuck to out self but he was out & everywhere. when little j. ran away from the group home once he was picked up in our neighborhood & the cops themself said it was a crack house.they could not explain to me why it was still there if they knew there was dealing going on. i do not understand the laws at all. stay safe.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

When my son lived at home, I used to live in a "nice safe" neighbourhood. Then I realized that I was only a bus stop away from him finding his way to get his drugs.

I am powerless over where anyone sells or buys drugs, but I am no longer powerless over my own recovery and shining my light where anyone who cares to, can join me.

That would upset me too, Elana, but maybe just say a prayer for each one of those gathered there. It might have been my son, or somebody's husband, or one of our friends who had lost their way. Addiction is the demon, not those who have the disease.

Hugs
Old 11-23-2007, 04:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Morning Elana,
Not a good thing to see on a nature walk!
Old 11-23-2007, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I know what I am about to say is not very recovery and I know that these scumbags I saw are someone's kids etc. I also know that Addiction is the demon.

However, when addiction turns the individual into a demon I have no prayers, no sympathy and certainly little compassion. At that point I really only care about protecting myself and taking care of me.

At the point where an addict is active and will do anything to get drugs.. anything at all.. the humanity of the individual is gone. I truly do not care at that same point what happens to the addict. Misery, suffering and yes, even death, matters not to me when a person is high, actively addicted and seeking drugs and therefore unpredictable and dangerous.

My life and the life I have earned is more important to me than theirs. My compassion and care for me is more important than giving a rats pitooie for them. Most of my neighbors feel the same way, and I am glad they do (we have had these discussions). All my neighbors have various firearms and have expressed an interest in using them on intruders.

Addicts choose the life they lead. They can also choose recovery. I do not care about their choice as long as their choice is to continue to be actively using, dealing or stealing for drugs.

I do care what happens to me and my neighborhood.

No, I cannot control it but I can certainly give these scumbags every impression that dealing and stealing here is much less safe than they want to believe. Drugs can make you paranoid, or so I have heard. Dealing in my backyard should make 'em paranoid as well.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

and I know that these scumbags I saw are someone's kids etc.
Ouch.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Unfortunately, it looks different from where I stand.

I have deep compassion for all our addicts.
I believe it MAY be a choice the first time..

but after that it is a disease called addiction.

I know for a fact being "An Addict" was not either of my sons goals.

JMO...
Old 11-23-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I am sorry to have offended you , Ann and Moose.

Perhaps the name calling (scumbags) is not a good thing, but honestly, I am just so sick of the drug thing.. and the addiction and all the rest. I am sick of my taxes paying for them in jail, in rehab, on medicaid and the list goes on.

Maybe it is truly time for me to move on from this subject (addicts, addiction, co-dependancy and all the rest).

Maybe someday I can have compassion if I can learn how to separate the addiction from the addict.

I no longer can do that. It all looks the same to me these days.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You know this forum is called Soberrecovery Elana?
Old 11-23-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Elana,
No offense taken, I know how mad it makes you, and I sympathize with you.
A lot of aspects of it, make me angry too.

I think the Gov't can be doing so much more in the war against drugs, but I think they have their heads in the sand...or it's not a good topic for getting elected.

Hugs to you sweetie,
Old 11-23-2007, 12:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I AM offended.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you had to see that, Elana. You know in your heart of hearts that it goes on everywhere, even in the country, but it's still infuriating to have to see it.

I know how you feel. Sometimes the rage gets the better of me too. I know it won't solve anything -- you can scare one dealer but there are a thousand standing right behind him who will say, "Heyyy, now THERE's a nice secluded spot to stop!" -- but I can't help but feel protective of the small, innocent community where I live.

Do what you can to help keep your corner of the world inhospitable for dealers and drugs deals. It's all any of us can really do...an uphill battle, for sure, but if we don't try, we're guaranteed that nothing will change.

I once posted a notice on the community bulletin board that said, "if you buy your drugs on XXXXXX Road, you are being photographed." No more, no less. That was the result of the same kind of anger you're feeling. (and yes, by the way, it worked to move that operation somewhere else)

Take a deep breath. Feel what you feel, do what you can do, and get on with life.

Hugs, my friend,
GL
Old 11-23-2007, 12:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
I AM offended.

We all get to vent here, from time to time. There have been plenty of quasi-murderous vents directed toward addicts whose behavior is proving ruinous to the people around them. Addiction brings out the angry warrior in us from time to time....if only it would stand still and let us shoot it. Or stop using our loved ones as human shields....
Old 11-23-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wink

this is aimed at noone in particular....but offensiveness seems to have developed as a theme in this thread....I'm not even a Christian, but I think this is pretty good...

(1 John 3:17 KJV) "It is so easy to turn off the flow of compassion, a little pride, a little selfishness, a little envy, a little unforgiveness, or a little fear; and the dam is closed, compassion is stopped."

"When you stop the river of compassion to one person the whole dam shuts down. Anything that causes you to be offended shuts down compassion. Being offended comes from not knowing God, if the Creator of the universe has compassion for you, why would you let what people say and do destroy your life, spiritually and then physically. Don't let an offence stop the river of life from flowing through you."
Old 11-23-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
We all get to vent here, from time to time. There have been plenty of quasi-murderous vents directed toward addicts whose behavior is proving ruinous to the people around them. Addiction brings out the angry warrior in us from time to time....if only it would stand still and let us shoot it. Or stop using our loved ones as human shields....
I am an addict and so are all the other people here who use the forums other than the F&F forums.

Of course I am offended.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I truly do not care at that same point what happens to the addict. Misery, suffering and yes, even death, matters not to me when a person is high, actively addicted and seeking drugs and therefore unpredictable and dangerous.
Your anger at finding drug trades in your neighbourhood is valid, Elana.

Saying that misery, suffering and death of the addict who still struggles matters not to you offends Stone, a recovering addict who found his way back and is helping others do the same, and it offends me, whose son is "out there" still and whose death would matter very much to me.

I don't believe you intended to offend anyone. I don't want this thread to become a debate.

You have expressed your anger, and I guess my question is what are you going to do with it? Because it will eat your soul if you let it, and resentments hurt us more that the person we are angry with.

Me? I am still going to pray for the addict who suffers, I am still going to ask God every morning to take care of the one who is my son. And I am going to pray for anyone who is so hurt by addiction that they can't find any compassion in their hearts for those who suffer.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yea, I am done here.