Notices

Don't know where to start

Old 11-22-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Banned

Don't know where to start

so I guess it might aswell be here.
No idea what to type, my addiction is heroin, I've been using for countless years now, to many to remember, or rather I don't wish to?
I have got treatment starting very soon, tomorrow I'm going to a place called HSRT (I forget what it stands for).
Near the start of this year I had a lapse which of course became a relapse after about 2 months, so in total I think I've been using for 6 months now shamefully that was after a two year stint of me being clean, I'm so jumbled and I'm sure this makes not much sense but I guess atleast I'm doing something about it.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I am glad you are going into treatment and hope you keep posting.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Banned

Thank you, and I intend to stay here for a while. I read through this forum about a month back when I was going through a bad patch, it seems like a decent community.
Do you mind me asking what substance you use or used to use? If you don't mind.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am recovering alcoholic and I've been sober for about 7 years.

SR is my lifeline, I love it here.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Banned

Seven years, that is great but I don't get the recovering part are not "cured"?
This forum is overwhelming I don't know where I should post.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR orele -

I am a recovering crack addict...had almost 2 years clean, relapsed for a week, and now have almost 9 months. I've found tons of support here no matter what anyone is recovering from.

Glad to hear you are going into treatment.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-22-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery. You'll learn your way around the board in no time. How did you stay clean for 2 yrs? I've tried everything and the only thing that has worked for me is Narcotics Anonymous.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Banned

Impurrfect do you mean you've been clean for 9 months now? We seem to have a similar pattern with the lapse.
Time I really don't know, I did have small lapses I think in the course of 24 months I must have used about thrice but around the start of this year the lapses become more short until I was doing it everyday. I did the initial detox alone, not quite cold turkey, but I did it alone. I left my home, job, friends (not that I had many) and family.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi!
Welcome! The people on this forum are great!
I'm a recovering alcohoic, but I'm just realizing i'm just an addictive person as anything can easily become an addiction to me. I also seem to have a gambling problem at the moment too.
In the past I've been hooked on gambling; alcohol; sex; and benzos.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck!
Old 11-22-2007, 01:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Oreole,

I don't believe people can be cured of alcoholism in the sense that I will be able to drink again. I believe I am 'recovered' in the sense that I am dealing with life much differently now. But, I still work at it every day and that's one of the reasons why I come here.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh Oreole, you are doing fine with the website. You'll get used to it and Newcomers is a busy place, so posting here is a great idea. Of course, you can look around and post in other areas too.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Orele -

Yeah, on Nov 9th I will have 9 months clean. I was "lucky" that I only relapsed for a week, but I almost lost everything in that one week, including my life. I finally realized that I really couldn't do "just a little crack" - it's all or nothing.

I had to figure out what had kept me clean and what made me relapse. Basically, I got too stressed out over a situation that I had no control over, and feeling helpless, I wanted to escape. Today, I'm figuring out how to let go of things I can't control BEFORE I get stressed out. That's why this site helps me so much....when something is bothering me, I post here and people tell me how they dealt with similar situations. It really helps "talking" to people who have been-there-done-that.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-22-2007, 01:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I dont know how it fels to be clean for 2 years.. I have never made it that long. To me that is a great feat that you should be proud of.

I know you relapsed amd all, but your doing pretty well if you have enough sense to go get treatment right away.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Banned

^ I just wish I went to see them sooner, but they really have changed the system here in the UK, before it'd take about 4~6 weeks before they got you into the clinic now it's much faster. I went to a place called DIAS who help all sort of addictions they refered me to the HSRT, I got a call from them this Monday to go see them on Friday (tomorrow). I just really hope my tolerence test starts on Monday.
It's a shame to read you've not been clean for long periods of time but if you can get into a local rehab center.

Thanks for all the replys everyone, take care.