my daughter is on her way to addiction

Old 11-22-2007, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

my daughter is on her way to addiction

on monday I get a message from my son that my daughter has tried to kill herself and is in a hospital. When I talk to her it turns out that she was just hysterical, threatening, and running around collecting pills from everyone in the dorm. So the counselors at the school took her to the hospital. she was let out the next day, the docs said she isn't really suicidal, but rather this is just a result of all the drugs she has been taking. Now the school she is at (where you have to stay clean) has given her two weeks to either find another situation or commit to the program. The thing is , there is no program, just a vocational type school courses but no counseling or anything and in the dorms they are all doing drugs, she just admitted it at the hospital, where as, without supervision at school, the teachers can pretend nothing is happening.

Oh well. SO her dad says "she can live with me but no drugs" and I think to myself, "yeah right, that'll work." He asks me what drugs she has been doing and he is surprised it is stuff other than pot. Well, WTF, I live thousands of miles away and know about all this and he is right there and doesn't see it.

Anyhow, I know, I know, can't do anything about it, she has to commit to it on her own. At least she got the winter coat I sent and likes it.

Maybe the abf was put my way so I would learn how to deal with addiction before I had to deal with it in my daughter...who knows how the HP works?

Speaking of which, he started treatment this week.

I feel surrounded by this stuff. I think the only people in my family who are not addicts are my mom and I. (unless we count chocolate).
Old 11-22-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i am so sorry that this is happening to you & to your daughter. u r powerless & you have your recovery. it is hard when it is your child. i hope she gets a program in her life some way. prayers for you both.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Red face Daughter using drugs...

OneEyeOpen,

I am sorry to hear this about your daughter. It sounds like she is in a bad living situation...a school that doesn't tolerate drugs but lets the students use anyway. :praying

If her Dad lives where she is living that would seem like the logical place to start but she is the one that has to want to quit using drugs so her Dad may not be able to let her live with him if no drugs are allowed.

Yes, you have been learning with your abf so you must know about enabling and that it just prolongs the situation. :comfort

I am glad to hear he is in treatment. Hope all goes well for him and that you can find yourself some quiet, quality time. Have a good Thanksgiving.

kelsh
Old 11-22-2007, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

oneeyeopen,
What I see is you working YOUR program, and trying to stay out of all the drama, and you're doing a good job, too!

There is help available for your daughter, she just has to want it, and seek it out.
The possibilities are endless.

As for the school she's attending, shame on them for not having a program available to those who want it,and need it.

Hugs,