Notices

Zoloft

Old 11-22-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Zoloft

I started zoloft a few months ago and I've noticed my appetite is almost nonexistant and I'm losing weight, 5 to 8lbs so far. Has anyone been on zoloft long term. Did your appetite return? I've got a rather fast metabolism anyhow so the weight loss could be a problem if it continues. The Zoloft works well on my anxiety and depression though so I'm hesitant to bring it up with my doc. Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey- when you started zoloft did you feel really mentally foggy at first? I have tried to start taking zoloft but it either knocks me out cold or I feel hazy. Is that common - psych said it was but I hated it so I quit taking it. I know I'm a stubborn one.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile Zoloft....

Hi Hoover & Midnightfrost,

I took Zoloft for about four years when I changed from Doxipin. I had no noticeable side-effects at first and had already gained weight so did not notice that. Lithium was the cause of my weight gain.

I did start to have trouble with my stomach bloating and getting very hard when I did eat so ate less. I finally got so uncomfortable with my stomach and constipation that I asked my doc to change me to another antidepressant.

That is when I started Effexor XR. I have taken it for about15 years now and it is doing the job. I did quit Lithium because it was decided by my pdoc that I was not Bipolar I but had manic reactions to other meds such as psychotropics. When I titrated off Lithium I lost over 60 pounds which I needed to lose. Everything got better for me and I reduced my Xanax and a couple meds for my arthrits. This took a year for me to accomplish under the watchful eye of my doc. :comfort

I went back to my psycdoc for another evaluation and she was very pleased with my progress. Then she asked me to try Lexapro and I have been taking it for one year along with my Effexor XR. I take Lexapro 10 mg and Effexor 300 mg every morning. :mock

I have motivation, energy, and more up moods than down moods now. It is a miracle for me. I still have days that I have to make myself do the usual household chores rather than things I like to do such as be on my computer.

kelsh
Old 11-22-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info Kelsh! Yeah I have a bit of the bloating issue. I eat a very high fiber diet so I think that helps. Hooner I didn't have the fog issue with the zoloft but a girlfriend of mine that took it had that issue. She said she felt numb. She didn't give it any time either so I don't know if it'll go away or not. . . . I have given these kind of drugs 3 months before i switch. But if you can't function that's a little unrealistic. I've hear cymbalta also works well for anxiety but doesn't have some of the issues that zoloft has. If my weight loss continues I'm going to be asking the doc about switching to cymbalta.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Welcome Midnightfrost, I am a big Effexor Xr fan. I have tried all AD except Zoloft but found a perfect fit with Effexor. Sometimes symptoms go away after the initial few weeks but i would surely tell ur Dr. about it. It may take some trial and error to find a perfect fit for u. Take Care, Kerry
Old 11-23-2007, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

A friend of mine has been on zoloft for around 2 years (or more?).
I don't recall an appetite loss for her but everyone's different.
I do know that now, she loves to eat. I'd give it sometime and
if it continues, go see your doc.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2007, 06:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Well

I took Zoloft for about two years, and I did have the same thing. And yes my appitite did eventually return, although I don't remember how lond it took. The side effects should subside.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good to hear Bluenena. Thanks for all the feed back! I'm supposed to head back to the doc in January. . . . I started beginning of Sept so January will be 5 months. SHould have a good idea of what's going to pass and what isn't. Granted if I get below a healthy weight between now and then I'll just go in early!