Notices

Another "oh, I'm sooo hungover" post...

Old 11-22-2007, 01:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Another "oh, I'm sooo hungover" post...

Hi everyone

As I said in one of my previous posts, I have been drinking every other day rather than every day. So yesterday would have been one of my non-drinking days but today is Thanksgiving which would have been a drinking day. Confused yet?. Anyway, so rather than get knackered on Thanksgiving and ruin the holiday for myself and others rather than being able to relax and have a good sober time, I decided to drink yesterday so that I would be too hungover to feel like drinking on Thanksgiving day. Even more confused?.

Well, anyway, I woke up this morning (or 11 beers later) with a hangover (suprize!) and it was 3:00AM in the morning and I made a pot of coffee and sat down to read the news, check my email, etc and so I'm sipping my coffee and it tastes just fine but about the 5'th sip, it suddenly tasted really thick and sludgy to me and so this made me think that I was having a "taste hallucination" or something and shortly thereafter, I had a panic attack (shortness of breath, swallowing issues, anxiety, etc). Lots of fun!.

The drinking last night, the liquid anxiety (coffee) this morning and two days of "property wars" with our nextdoor neighbors (with the police involved) has really stressed me out.

Anyway, I guess I'm just rambling on about stuff here but I had to come here and talk to someone. I'm so tired of being drunk on Thanksgiving, Christmas, family events, etc but hopefully now that I'm hungover, I won't be getting drunk today (Thanksgiving) and will actually be able to TASTE the turkey rather than drinking all day and eating cold leftovers.

Thanks for listening, Need4Change
Old 11-22-2007, 02:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I woke up at 3:30 this morning with a resentment I didn't put to bed last night before I went to bed. My mind was racing and I couldn't quiet it so I decided to get up and read some SR posts...

I don't have much to say to you and you aren't really asking any questions... sounds like you just needed to get some stuff off your chest... so I was here and listening.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

need4
I had a panic attack (shortness of breath, swallowing issues, anxiety, etc). Lots of fun!.
reminds me of the start of the DT's i used to have... solution... drinks!

have a nice TG'n need4

xxoo, rz
Old 11-22-2007, 03:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mick said it best for me: absolute insanity. I wish you would get some help and stop killing yourself.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Need4Change View Post
Hi everyone:

The drinking last night, the liquid anxiety (coffee) this morning and two days of "property wars" with our nextdoor neighbors (with the police involved) has really stressed me out.
Hi Need4Change:

Your name says it all. You know that you that you need to change. I would love to see you change your name to Willing4Change.

Peace.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today MAKE it a day to be Thankful for....then tomorrow one to be Thankful for. "See it!" Then make it happen!
Old 11-22-2007, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Need4change,

I do remember some holidays being hung over and it didn't stop me from drinking...I was so miserable that in order to function, I had to drink...

I am grateful I don't have to live that way anymore...Neither do you...You just need to get off the addiction cycle, and not drink...

Happy Thanksgiving...:morning
Old 11-22-2007, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you have a good day today!

You know, you can be sober without being hungover!
Old 11-22-2007, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dear N4Change,

you don't have to continue this way. You know? There is a way out of the spin cycle. There is a better life for you when you are ready.

I am thankful today that you are here sharing Thanksgiving with us and wish you blessings of health and happiness.

And strength and courage to change.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello NEED,
The fact that you are keeping track of days drinking and the exact amount of the drink is a sure sign. When that urge to kill the hangover comes later I hope you pound water.
the best of wishes on your recovery!:comfort
Happy thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, it sounds like you've cut back by half, that is good!
The pre-planned hangover thing didn't work for me. Believe me, I've tried all kinds of schemes. The problem is that when you have a hangover, you are still pretty drunk. You aren't really sober.

With a hangover, you aren't experiencing the euphoria of the first hours of drinking and the fun part, you are experiencing all the physical pain and all the psychological grief afterwards: anxiety, lack of self-esteem, "I'm a pile of crap"....doubt. Fear. And the alcohol is still in your body.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Are you making any attempts to stop drinking ?
Old 11-22-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I remember two years ago I was detoxing from meth and I was in hell. I didn't know if I could make it to today, I wanted to but the thought of making it this far seemed impossible even as bad as I wanted it. One Day At A Time My Friend.
Keep Trying, Don't Ever Give Up...
Old 11-22-2007, 01:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Needy - all you said is completely illogical, but it makes perfect sense to me! However, I never tolerated a hangover, so it wouldn't have worked to try and be too hungover to drink - I'd just have a "hair of the dog" and feel perky once again - all set to embark on a binge lasting anywhere from days to years. I can't believe I survived after living that way for so long. You're playing with fire, please be careful - I was told I could've had a seizure, heart attack or stroke putting my body through all those ups and downs with no medical supervision. Hoping your day turns out ok in spite of everything.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There is a better way.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, yesterday (Thanksgiving) I was clean and sober ALL day but I was also feeling sick, fatigued and anxious so the "self-planned" hangover thingy didn't really work out all that well. I ended up going to bed very early without even having a piece of pumpkin pie with whipped cream ): .

On top of that, I read somewhere in a "landmark study" that 97% of alcoholics will relapse within 10 years. Oh great, just what I needed to hear!.

Anyway, I hate this cycle of drinking so much that I am determined to stay completely away from alcohol today. Today would normally be a "drinking day" for me but instead I've prayed, got out my bottle of Naltrexone and Klonopin and I really have to do this because as I've said in the past...I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Well, I guess I'd better run for now. I have to email my sister and her husband and some other things. Take care and thanks for all the support and encouragement here.

Need4Change
Old 11-23-2007, 05:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, I've tried sobriety 100's of times and yes, I'm sure it could serve as an easy excuse to continue drinking (just as anything else can) but my point was that it was just kind of frustrating to think that I only had a 10% chance to suceed within the 10 year time frame mentioned. It just kind of lowers my morale. As I indicated earlier, I don't remember where I read that but I think the important thing here is that I remained SOBER on Thanksgiving day .

Need4Change

Originally Posted by wander1971 View Post
'97% of alcoholics will relapse within 10 years'. Which gives us a convenient excuse never to try sobriety. I know, I did it for years.

Where did you read that, anyway?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Lurker

well to me a 100% of alcoholics who do not completely quit drinking never recover, and will die drunk. I really think it would be wise for you to find some kind of recovery program that will work for you.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Obviously, anyone who is an alcoholic and never quits drinking will never recover and may die drunk depending on wether they die from their primary disease or some other related cause, however, according to the study, 97% of those who do remain abstinent will end up relapsing within 10 years. My point in mentioning this article was simply to say that, if the study is true and accurate, it is rather dissapointing and not exactly a great morale booster for someone like myself who has tried to quit drinking over and over again and tried a number of ways to achieve this with no success so far.

Need4Change

Originally Posted by lostmdboy View Post
well to me a 100% of alcoholics who do not completely quit drinking never recover, and will die drunk. I really think it would be wise for you to find some kind of recovery program that will work for you.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well, maybe they will relapse, but did the study end there?
Was the relapse permanent?

Lots of us relapse, I am probably the relapse queen here, but it may or may not last and many achieve sobriety again after a relapse. Permanent sobriety. Ask some people here. Good luck, and stick with it!