Notices

Quit Meter Help

Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quit Meter Help

I looked on the net and could not find a free quit meter for drinkers, so I'm writing one. I have done the front end but there is still a lot to do.

It is a program that you download to your computer before you enter any data (so it should be safe). You put in your age, gender, quit date, how long you have been drinking, how much you drank and how much you spent on drink, it calculates how long you have quit, how much money you have saved, how much of your own life you have saved (approximately) etc. -I'll do some sort of hot-key control so users can paste their stats to a forum, if they like.

It also allows buddies (just names and quit dates) so you can post congratulations on forums when a cyber-buddy reaches an important milestone (if they are willing to tell you when they quit).

Also there will be a mile stone list to keep motivation up.

I would also like to include a message for the day. I think the first 30 days are important and perhaps need a unique message - but the rest of the days can be a random selection from about 100 or maybe 200 stock messages.

I can do all the programming but I need some help with daily messages.

I can put the daily message sets in a separate files, so it is possible for the user to select messages with a Christian content, Muslin or Jewish, or non-religious or whatever.

Naturally the quit meter program will be free with no adverts, spam or agenda of any kind.

I'm not pressuring myself with this so it might take a month or so to complete but I would appreciate some help with the daily messages (encouragements) and some idea as to what are important milestones. I've only been sober for a week so I don't know what time periods are significant.

I quit smoking in February and the smoking quit meter really helped me. Even though a quit meter might seem like a simple and dumb thing they seem to work and I reckon one would definitely help some people keep of the booze, and I would like one for myself .
Old 11-20-2007, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

milestones-30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, 18 months, 2 years, etc.

maybe?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I really like the idea of a religious affiliation feature. While being told "God is looking out for you" may help most people, it'd make me dig in my heels.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is very, very cool. Fantastic idea.

I don't have anything significant on milestones, but one feature might be a column where you can add an activity or accomplishment that happened because the individual was not on the sauce (accomplishment at work, exercise, spent time with family, etc.)
Old 11-20-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

What sort of help do you need with the daily messages?
I think Emimily's list of milestones are great.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow! that is very interesting!
please do let me know where I can get it from
Old 11-20-2007, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ManchurianC View Post
some idea as to what are important milestones. I've only been sober for a week so I don't know what time periods are significant.
The milestones are probably very subjective, but for me anyway they are: 1 day; 3 days; 5 days; 1 week; 10 days; 2 weeks; 3 weeks; a month; 2 months; 3 months; 6 months; 9 months; 1 year; 18 months; 2 years; 5 years; and 6 and a half years. I don't know more then that.
I have listed 6 and half years because that's when I fell off the wagon last time.
I hope that's of some help to you.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've been active in on line recovery since '92
and often wondered why a quit meter for drinkers
has not been implemented.

Good Luck on this venture!
Old 11-22-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the encouragement and suggestions.

I'm still working on it and making progress. I am using Aldo's suggestion for the elapsed time milestones (I have done just over 100 for a 10 period).

At the moment I'm doing the code for buddies (add, change, delete). -This will just store buddy names and their quit date and flag up elapsed time milestones for them (so you can say "well done on reaching 100 days mate" etc. on Internet forums or in real life).

The personal milestones will include elapsed time and money saved and units of alcohol not consumes and number of calories not consumed (in alcohol) and amount of time life saved.

I know it is not allowed to give specific medical advice here, but it is the case that chronic heavy drinkers die 10 years before the statistical average for life expectancy, and that 40% of fatal road traffic accidents involve alcohol etc. The equation for 'life saved' is going to be complicated (depending on gender, age, length of time abusing alcohol, amount drunk and other variables) - and I'll see if I can have it verified before I code it.

I will complete the quit meter, but as I said before - I'm not pressurising myself with deadlines, so it will be at least a month.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Maybe these might help you think of some messages...
Thoughts To Ponder
Old 11-22-2007, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Hmmmn...interesting concept. I suppose it's one way of measuring progress in recovery. Although I, personally, prefer using the AA Steps and Promises. To each his own.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Check out the Hazelden site. They publish many daily inspiration books and they will even email you one every day. I enjoy reading "365 Tao".

Great Idea!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No AA

awesome! i think this is a great idea!!! maybe it could be made a sticky for everyone once you get it done. the beginning looks real nice. keep up the good work and let us all know when we can be your guinea pigs and test it out
Old 11-23-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

but one feature might be a column where you can add an activity or accomplishment that happened because the individual was not on the sauce (accomplishment at work, exercise, spent time with family, etc.)
I agree...I'd be much more interested/encouraged by knowing things folks have been able to do since they quit drinking...things they probably wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. The amount of money saved or alcohol not consumed really wouldn't impress me as much.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Good for you, I think its great your giving so much back

Kevin

Originally Posted by ManchurianC View Post
I looked on the net and could not find a free quit meter for drinkers, so I'm writing one. I have done the front end but there is still a lot to do.

It is a program that you download to your computer before you enter any data (so it should be safe). You put in your age, gender, quit date, how long you have been drinking, how much you drank and how much you spent on drink, it calculates how long you have quit, how much money you have saved, how much of your own life you have saved (approximately) etc. -I'll do some sort of hot-key control so users can paste their stats to a forum, if they like.

It also allows buddies (just names and quit dates) so you can post congratulations on forums when a cyber-buddy reaches an important milestone (if they are willing to tell you when they quit).

Also there will be a mile stone list to keep motivation up.

I would also like to include a message for the day. I think the first 30 days are important and perhaps need a unique message - but the rest of the days can be a random selection from about 100 or maybe 200 stock messages.

I can do all the programming but I need some help with daily messages.

I can put the daily message sets in a separate files, so it is possible for the user to select messages with a Christian content, Muslin or Jewish, or non-religious or whatever.

Naturally the quit meter program will be free with no adverts, spam or agenda of any kind.

I'm not pressuring myself with this so it might take a month or so to complete but I would appreciate some help with the daily messages (encouragements) and some idea as to what are important milestones. I've only been sober for a week so I don't know what time periods are significant.

I quit smoking in February and the smoking quit meter really helped me. Even though a quit meter might seem like a simple and dumb thing they seem to work and I reckon one would definitely help some people keep of the booze, and I would like one for myself .
Old 12-10-2007, 11:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Still plodding on with it ......

I'm doing the inputs as a simple click selection from drop-down boxes. These things always take longer than you might expect - but I think I am about a third of the way to completion