what to expect??

Old 11-19-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what to expect??

Hello all!!

Currently my ABF is in the largest mental institution in the Province for being suicidal. It's expected that he should be there til about the end of the month, at which time he'll be going into treatment. In fact, he's going for an interview there today.

He's done the treatment thing before, never actually having completed the full 8 weeks or whatever the time was for the program he was doing, but i haven't been with him at that time. We have been together for nearly a year, and about 5 months of that has been using hell. Prior to that he had 9 months sober. I am working hard on my recovery and I think i'm doing a pretty good job, even though i'm still taking baby steps.

He plans on completing the 8 week program and then moving into one of the available 3/4 houses and staying there for at least a year. My question is, if there are any common attitudes or events that i should expect or at least have in the back of my head for the next coming year.Or if there's any advice you'd like to give. I haven't done this part before, and i have some fear.I do completely understand the high possibility of relapse, and i'm not expecting this stay at treatment to fix him forever. That's his job.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Its a hard one. Considering you have been with him for one year, I seriously would be reconsidering where you want to be. Sounds like he has a long way to go yet and is that what you are willing to take on. Can be life changing.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

glad you are with us. welcome.. i am also glad your b.f. is going to get help. it is really sad when our loved one are suicidal & an addict.it is a long road for him.my advise is "hands off the addict". what that means is to let him work his program. it has to come first before you or anything else. it is a one day at a time & life long. keep coming back here & see if u can find a naronon meeting to attend. prayers, hope